GMW info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMW info?

After reading many of you say how great the GMW guitars are, I am getting pretty interested...In the ROCK REPLICA section, there are two (2) Charvel-styled strats (bulls-eye and checkerboard) for $1200.00 and $1250 respectively. Some questions questions please:
    1. The necks (from what I gather) are very close to the feel of the old San Dimas pointys? Is this correct?
    2. The pictures do not show the headstocks. Does any know what style they ship with?
    3. What is the average wait time for one of these guitars?
    4. Would you buy one of these from GMW or would you purchase a new pointy Charvel?

Thanks everyone,

Dan

Re: GMW info?

1) Yes their necks are very good
    2) No more strat headstocks
    3) Dunno
    4) Loaded question. If you want to save money the old was was to buy the GMW but lose resale value. Recentlythe new pointies are very much like the old 80's charvel and they appear to be very competetive in pricing. The GMW will be well made but would not hold resale. The new charvels haven't been out long enough to determine resale but all indications are they should retain value ..
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

1.Yes.
      2.Lee has been woking on new headstock designs. So you will get one of these new design headstocks.
      3.It depends onif the guitar is solid color or a Graphic.
      Also depending on how busy Dan is.
      Solid color GMW could take from 2months -6months and graphics could take much longer or could be shorter if is simple like Skull with Blood.
      4.I would buy GMW and can't wait for their new headstocks to become available but if you can find a used Charvel in mint shape for $1000 or so, I think that would be a killer as well but that would be in solid color though.

You should e-mail him and find out more details.

Comment

Before fender shut him Lee at GMW was the only game in town for an s-head charvel made just the way you want it. However, GMW is not doing s-heads anymore.

If you are going to buy the guitar to keep and the (yet to be released)new headstock grabs you, then I would get a GMW if cost is a factor as they will be cheaper than the same guitar from charvel. Wait time as listed above.

That said, the new pointys are very well done and the necks are dead on to the SD originals. Wait time will be more like a year. The charvel will cost more but will have a better resale.

One thing you may want to do is keep an eye on ebay (and the classides here once you get you post count up by contributing to the board that is). Used s-head GMWs turn up and while they are no cheap, they are cheaper than an s-head charvel by alot and are very well made, excellent playing guitars.
        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I played, for a brief moment, one of the new Charvels today and they are nice. I have no frame of reference compared to the old ones but the new ones aren't shabby at all. Nice feel to them.
          http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

I think the resale value will depend on the new headstock...

Comment

The two guitars you referenced would have strathead type neck profiles,not the pointy type!!

Comment

correct me if i'm wrong but lee is not doing s-heads or pointy heads anymore!
                and i think if you have a gmw s-head it will at least retain its value if not rise in value do to the fact he can't do them anymore

thanks
                jon

Comment

I'd plat the guitars first. If you live in California, go to Lee and play anything he has there, you will get the idea. I still have my Mutts that Lee built me from 16 years ago.

Comment

I think since you can't get strat headstocks and Charvel is making some very nice looking and playing pointies, and you like the pointies, get a pointy. They will be in stock at various places and virtually no wait [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Answer to #3 - twice as long as what Lee tells ya [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but well worth the wait!
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

You know, he said he found the two guitars in question in the Rock Replica section of the website. Maybe he's looking at the used ones? In which case they would have the strat head.
                      Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I wonder if GMW will do a paddle headstock?

Comment

AFAIK,there are no stratheads left at GMW,end of story!!

& I don't think Lee will do any other headstocks shapes!!

Comment

And every neck and body he will be offering will be serialized.
                            He is not going to sell just a body or a neck anymore.
                            That is what I heard of.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              And every neck and body he will be offering will be serialized.
                              He is not going to sell just a body or a neck anymore.
                              That is what I heard of.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool. I'd heard that before and am glad. Much easier to track if it's stolen or to even prove what it is if you need to sell. Can't wait until he's ready to let everyone see the new headstocks. Maybe someday I can order another........ [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img].

Comment

Working...
                              X