Tom Delonge Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Delonge Strat?

Hi! I am wondering if anyone ever played/owned one.
    If so, please let me know what you think of.
    I am talking about the Fender version of it, not the cheaper Squire one.
    I am thinking of buying one and change the pickup,bridge saddles.
    Also wondering how the neck plays.
    If it sucks, then I will be looking for a Warmoth replacement neck..

Thank you for your help!
    [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Tom Delonge Strat?

Good guitars - at least the Fender version. Also, I know some folks have been pleasantly surprised when they pulled the picguards up to find that they are swimming poor routes - so your pickup options are wide open. They feel like a good Fender Strat so if you like that you should be happy.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I saw pics of the pickup rout and it was not a swimming pool rout like some USA American Standard Strat I have seen.
      The picture I saw had rough SSH routing instead.
      So I was thinking to add a single coil in the neck position.. or I can even put a mini hum in the neck position.
      Here is the auction of Fender version of Delonge body.
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...313450502&rd=1

This is the Squire version.
      It has no routing for neck/middle pickups so I can't use this plus I can expect this to be very cheap wood.
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...314724353&rd=1

Comment

Why not just wait for a good deal on a fender strat, and then change out the pickguard?

Pete

Comment

Fender Guitar? you mean other Fender models or Fender Delonge?

What I was thinking is to buy one of these used ones on E-bay and then change the pickguard, the bridge pickup and add a neck pickup, also change the bridge saddles.

I was also thinking of Hot Rooded(Double Fat) Strat with Hardtail bridge but the color I am interested in is not offered with that model.
          I want a Strat Body with Daphne Blue with Fixed Bridge and also it has to have a hum rout in the bridge position..
          There are not too many Strat with fixed bridges by Fender and there are some models with fixed bridges but do not offer Daphne Blue..
          So I found out Delonge model seems to be the only way and also reasonable too...

Comment

I like the delonge model as far as sound and looks go.. I didn't like the necks on it but I think that's just preferance. the fender ones had the h/s/s routing, don't know about the squiers.

I had the same idea, but I wanted a surf green one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd say go for it, and if you really don't like the neck you could always repleace it..
            "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

I didn't like the neck feel on these guitars either, but I thought it was about the coolest thing they could make anyway. Big time Charvel vibe, but not the feel. That said, if I had the disposable income, I'd probably pay about $350 for one.

Comment

Thanks guys!
                YEa, I think I would sell the neck w/ tuners and buy a new neck with different tuners as well.
                I also think this would be a cool Jake E Lee project guitar as well..
                [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I played one of these MIM versions when they came out. I was really impressed. I've toyed with the idea of getting one for a while. Cool config, but the one I saw had a pimp MOTS pickguard that I'd change out for a standard black or white for...
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Hi! I am wondering if anyone ever played/owned one.
                    If so, please let me know what you think of.
                    I am talking about the Fender version of it, not the cheaper Squire one.
                    I am thinking of buying one and change the pickup,bridge saddles.
                    Also wondering how the neck plays.
                    If it sucks, then I will be looking for a Warmoth replacement neck..

Thank you for your help!
                    [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Toru !

I think a better idea may be to get a Robert Cray Strat (mexican) cheap and have it shot Daphne blue by the guys at Roxy - http://www.roxyguitarfinish.com/ - The Delonge guitars I've checked out were / are o.k., the American one I played didn't exactly set my world on fire.

The other option would be to get a hardtail body from Lee , still send it to Roxy ( it will be $100 cheaper to have them spray it...)and get a hardtail bridge from Kevin Maynard, and a Musicraft neck...voila, killer hardtail [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Thats what I would do.

Steve E

Comment

mmmmmm..
                      Steve, sell me your Strat and this will end right away [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, I don't know.. I am chekcing how much I would end up spending for making it right.
                      That is the only concern.
                      If money is not concerned,I would simply ask Lee to build me one but I am already talking with him on another guitar that will spend all my money and still I want something that plays differently and in Daphne Blue because I know it will take sometimes to receive my guitar from Lee..

And I need to make sure what I really want to do.
                      Daphne Blue is one thing that I want.
                      I wish I could find a American made body in Daphne Blue like yours but they all come with Tremolo routed.
                      It's funny.
                      Then, I want a hardtail bridge.
                      It doesn't have to be Brass bridge.

I want to have a Duncan hum(Custom) in the bridge and Duncan Stack single coil in the neck position.

Another thing, I would probably never keep Fender neck because I want something with oiled finish/22frets and jumbo frets.
                      So I will have to look for a Warmoth neck for it...

Comment

*****the American one I played didn't exactly set my world on fire.*****

There has never been a MIA Delong that I know of...

Comment

If you go the Warmoth route and use Roxy for the finish - it will cost you about $650 without pickups:

warmoth body - 145
                          warmoth maple neck - 160
                          pickguard - 25
                          bridge - 40
                          tuners - 25
                          ferrule, screws, plates, trees, etc. - 25
                          finish from roxy - 225

That's not a bad price for a new guitar to your specs. Of course this assumes you do the setup and oil the neck yourself. Even with pickups and a pro setup you can do this for well under a grand if you do most of the work yourself.
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            *****the American one I played didn't exactly set my world on fire.*****

There has never been a MIA Delong that I know of...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - if you played an MIA DeLonge, it wasn't a Delonge... They've only had Mexican Fenders and Korean Squires made that I'm aware of.

Comment

I just checked out pictures of the daphne blue color Toru wants just to see what all the fuss was about... and I can realize why he likes it so much!!! It sort of looks a bit like Toru Blue! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X