Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since you can't get GMW stratheads anymore...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since you can't get GMW stratheads anymore...

is Warmoth the way to go for someone wanting a strathead guitar? I've always been tempted about having a guitar made out of Warmoth parts, but have not done ot because I don't have the first clue about drilling holes and putting together a guitar. My guitar tech could do it, but he says he doesn't want to assemble guitars anymore. Anyway, is it really difficult to put together a guitar? What would be the major steps involved?

Re: Since you can\'t get GMW stratheads anymore...

Warmoth's parts come pre-drilled, so all you have to do is slap the parts together and set up the guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Warmoth will drill all the main holes for you. I don't think they will drill the holes for pickgaurds and such. But neck screw holes and trem holes are all their. Just be specific with them. They will install trem posts if you buy them from them. Once you have all the parts it's pretty easy to assemble. If you don't want to paint it you can usually find pretty decent deals in their showcase on bodies and necks. Warmoth is a pretty good way to go.
      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Warmoth's parts come pre-drilled, so all you have to do is slap the parts together and set up the guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I must type slow. What he said!
        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

This is a Warmoth guitar that I did last year and I could not be happier with it.I am getting ready to do another one now.As far as the build the neck was fretted(but I had to level and dress them)not sure if they offer it done on some necks..I also had to make my own nut.there was a little more to it then I realized but it was a great exprience and you can learn a great deal...and finish with an awesome guitar [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Okay, since we're telling stories and posting pictures, might as well join in. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] My brother's latest bass was a Warmoth and ordered EVERYTHING from them except for the pickups and electronics. The neck came fretted (and very nicely done so), nutted, inlaid, and glossed, and the neck pocket holes came drilled. The body came stained and glossed with all the hardware routes and neck pocket holes drilled. He got one of my friends, an aspiring luthier, to put it together and set it up for him. The result is this:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&Number=356467

Comment

I'm really tempted about doing a Warmoth project. I guess that I could do the basic assembly and then ask my tech to do install the setup and do the electronics. I was just running some numbers and all the necessary parts will amount to 1k. That will no include thye price for the setup and installing the electronics.

Comment

I've done a bunch of guitars from USA Custom Guitars and Warmoth. Great results all around. Absolutely no complaints.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Warmoth is a great way to go. Very simple. Buy the parts, and screw 'em together. You can have Warmoth do the important stuff (neck screw holes, bridge post inserts (if you either buy the bridge from them or send them your bridge in advance), tuner holes, nut prep, etc.). You will have to do the little stuff (or get it done locally), e.g., tuner positioning screws, strap buttons, install electronics, fret work, etc.

The quality is top notch. The only downside is that it's expensive (it's cheaper to buy a pre-manufactured guitar), and the resale value is typically abysmal. I thought about it for many years before I went for it. Based on my experience, I'd say to go for it.

Comment

I think I'm gonna go for it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I've done a bunch of guitars from USA Custom Guitars and Warmoth. Great results all around. Absolutely no complaints.

[/ QUOTE ]

USA Custom is ex Warmoth people right?

How many ahve you done Tim and do you have them all still?
                      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I like my warmoth parts guitar, but I had all the holes drilled by the guy that put it together for me (his suggestion). The paint was a little thin and the neck was a little warped (but that has more to do with the climate variance I think than anything else). All in all a very nice guitar and just what I wanted at the time. Service was good although the painting took longer than they promised, but it was not like dealing with other makers (only 2-3 weeks off - no big deal). Now that lee has been shut down, if I wanted another custom s-head, I would probably look to warmoth again for at least the bare parts (then maybe off to Paul at Bighead for the paint).
                        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          USA Custom is ex Warmoth people right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, according to Sully who knows the USA Custom folks.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Do you get a Charvel vibe from a Warmoth parts guitar? I found it with GMW but now I have to tolerate their new headstock when it comes out. I want to get a strat neck that has that Charvel/ GMW quality.

Comment

Working...
                            X