Warmoth Concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warmoth Concept

My main player is the only S-S-H guitar that I have which gets authentic strat sounds, so I've been hankering for another one. After looking at new Charvel/Suhr prices, and concluding that I can't afford either, I'm thinking about ordering the following from Warmoth (image courtesy of USA Custom):

Standard Strat body
    - alder
    - S-S-H top routed
    - contoured heel
    - angled neck pocket
    - non-recessed Floyd Rose trem
    - Fiesta Red solid color finish
    - parchment/black/parchment pickguard

Strat "Pro" Construction Neck
    - padouk
    - pau ferro fretboard
    - cream face dots
    - 6115 stainless steel frets
    - 1-5/8" nut width
    - Wolfgang back contour
    - Sperzel tuner holes
    - Floyd nut prep

I'd assemble it with an OFR, a Duncan Custom, a couple of Vintage Stacks, and a push/pull to split the bridge pickup. Then I'd send it off to be Pleked and (in theory) have a kick ass and completely unique guitar for not so much $$$.

The catch, for me, is that I don't live in California, where Plek service is available. Glaser in Nashville supposedly has a Plek machine, but they no longer have a web site.

Comments? Advice?
    This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Re: Warmoth Concept

I like it! That doesn't look like Fiesta Red to me, but I still like it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Yikes, on another monitor that color looks flat out orange. Well, it's supposed to be red. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

OK, another follow-up to my own thread. Lame. [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

I guess there's two ideas of what Fiesta Red looks like...

a faded vintage version which is more orange

a bright red version

(pics from Anderson)

The sample on the Warmoth site looks more like the faded one.

Anywho, anybody have experience with getting a guitar Pleked? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Personally, I'd go for something using the hollow body techniques they came up with. It'd probably lighten an Alder body more than you'd want, though. But I think you can specify how much you want the body to weigh when it gets done. I'm sure they're pretty good at sorting woods based on weight.
          please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

I gotta ask - What's "Pleked"?
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

http://www.guitarnation.com/articles/preston.htm

Comment

Interesting.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

In theory, it sounds like the combination of the Plek treatment, new truss rod designs, and stainless steel frets should create a guitar that will stay perfectly set up without intervention for a heck of a long time. I'd like to find out, anyway.

So nobody has had this done?

Comment

I haven't yet heard any players saying anything good about stainless steel frets.

Comment

I haven't played one yet, but the two things I've heard from other players are that they're very smooth and "impervious to damage" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

What bad things have you heard? I'd want to know before I make a mistake.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I haven't yet heard any players saying anything good about stainless steel frets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a Suhr with SS frets and I love them. Some claim that they give the guitar a brighter sound. Without being able to A/B two of the exact same guitars with and without SS frets I don't think the claims are valid. One of the custom builders built 2 guitars to exact same specs with the exception that one had SS frets. He said in a blindfold test you would not be able to tell which one had the SS frets.

Even if they are a little brighter sounding I would rather reap the benefits and turn down the treble on my amp. They are so smooth, don't wear (well, almost) and don't become tarnished between string changes.

I'm sold...

Comment

whats a Plek machine?

Comment

SOmetimes it helps to read more than one post in a thread [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                            http://www.guitarnation.com/articles/preston.htm

[/ QUOTE ]
                            [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X