Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much for assembling a Warmoth parts guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How much for assembling a Warmoth parts guitar

The thing that concerns me with electrics is yes, soldering isn't difficult and yes, I can copy a wiring diagram, but I don't really understand exactly what I'm doing, and it only takes a minor change from the diagram to completely throw me....I think it's partly due to the fact that most of my guitars are rear routed so I end up trying to figure out a complete spaghetti of wires in a confined space! (never has my signature looked so appropriate!)

I guess what I want is an 'easy to understand' guide along the lines of 'this is the signal wire, and this goes to the switch, then the switch output goes to the volume' etc etc...

The thing that have saved me in many cases is that I have quite a few guitars, with most pickup and wiring configurations, so I can usually just copy what I need to do direct from something else, and then try to figure out why / how it works!
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

refer to my earlier post !!!
      Dan is also a member on the LPF. He has his own section that is BRILLIANT. He will respond to questions, everything. I joined the LPF just for him initially.
      Of course in about 3 days i got GAS for an LP and had to go get a standard [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Before you touch a soldering iron to a wire, get a bag of those alligator clip jumper leads. Clip those to your wires and switch/pot connections before you solder, so you know what does what, and where everything needs to go.
        You can find them at Radio Shack or any other electronics parts/hobby stores.

If you want a complicated diagram, try installing a Sustainiac! You get it in 3 pieces - the pickup/driver, the board, and the knobs, and nothing is connected. There's about 30 wires coming off the board, and the diagram has one or two minor wiring errors. They say it takes about 3 hours to install, and it took me close to that, and that's just soldering the wires (plus figuring out that the diagram had two wires in the wrong place).
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Haahaa Newc, I hear ya on the Sustainiac. What a maze! Have you ever tried to wire a Jaguar? I built a Jaguar from Warmoth parts and used the Fender diagram. I went to the electronics supply and bought 7 different colors of wire. With all the switches and knobs in a Jag you end up with a wiring harness that looks like it came out of a car, HaaaHa!

Econ, just to reinterate, learning and doing this stuff with the help of Dan's books and on-line wiring diagrams such as Guitar electronics, Duncan and DiMarzio sources, you will have a very rewarding experience and will enable you to diagnose your own problems as they come along.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

IMO, you should just assemble the Warmoth yourself. From my experience, their parts fit extremely well together, so they will require very limited setup work. I recommend just assembling it yourself and simply using a Fret Beveling File from Stewmac to put a uniform bevel on otherwise sharp fret ends.
            George

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Ain't that the truth!?! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I have a soldering gun with a two stage trigger. It heats up in just a few seconds! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep that gun away from vintage pups with alnico magnets. I've seen them get de-magnetized. A good 30 watt iron is you friend for 99% of the work inside of a guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Unless I missed it, I'll see if I can get you in the ballpark as far as "the cost" to have a Warmoth put together. Since everything is pre-drilled, installation of tuners, neck, bridge, tail-piece, control knobs, etc, etc, is fast and simple. However, if the guitar is a "string thru" design, your tech may have to spend a little time installing the string ferrels. When Warmoth finishes the pre-drilled body, the finish material flows into the ferrel hole which prevents the ferrel from slipping into the hole. Extreme caution should be used by your tech during the enlargement of the hole.

The installation of cavity shielding and electronics is the real time consumer. To do the work above, plus electronics, plus final setup, will run a good tech about 3 hours, possibly four at a rate of $50 per hour. This price does not include parts.
                "POOP"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  When Warmoth finishes the pre-drilled body, the finish material flows into the ferrel hole which prevents the ferrel from slipping into the hole. Extreme caution should be used by your tech during the enlargement of the hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

very easy way to get the ferrules inserted without enlarging anything is to hold the ferrule with some needlenose pliers, and heat the tip of the ferrule with a soldering iron. once it gets hot (only a few seconds), put the ferrule in place, and push it in with a phillips screwdriver. the heat of the ferrule will soften the clear coat a little, and they'll go in niiiiiiiiice and easy.

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The guitar will have a Floyd Rose trem. Sully has kindly agreed to do the work for me. I have to say that would he quoted me for the job is extremely fair. Thanks Sully! I actually made a list of everything I need/want and everything comes down to $1200. I'll start ordering the parts very soon.

Comment

no prob, just bring the stuff with you next time you're in town for a weekend, and we'll get it knocked out.

sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I ordered a Warmoth neck and body two years ago and I'll put it up against any custom shop axe on the market. My suggestion is to take the mindset that this guitar is made just for you and that you plan to keep it forever, so order exactly what you want and don't cut corners. However, keep in mind that you'll never recoup the costs. My one piece KOA Strat can be seem at http://photos.yahoo.com/officialnextforums under the folder "Mark's Mess."

By the way Jon, excellent advice on the ferrule installation.
                        "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                        X