Some kind of Octave pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some kind of Octave pedal?

I need to get a bass, but don't really want to buy one....

how are the octive pedals? I just need a bass sound so I can record bass through my pod w/o buying a bass.

Re: Some kind of Octave pedal?

I don't think you would be very happy with an octave pedal...The tracking is a bit weird and they just don't have the <boom> of huge bass strings...When I needed a cheap bass to lay tracks on my 4-track, I bought a $100.00 beater at a pawn shop (probably less than you will pay for a halfway decent pedal). For the crappy bass licks I could muster it seemed to do the trick.

Dan

Comment

does the POD have an octave effect? Does the unit let you run the effect totally wet & mute the dry signal so you can't hear the guitar at all?
      Hail yesterday

Comment

no, POD doesn't. you can get a cheap bass anywhere. sam ash has their crap brand, every pawn shop in the USA has squire P-basses. for like 130 you could get a bass. a good pedal that would mimic a bass will set you back more than that.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I could get a bass, but when I'm at College I prefer to have a minimun of big stuff to bring.

Comment

I thought the PODs had a bass simulator in them. Maybe I'm thinking of something else. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

j-staion has bass amp models, but not a bass simulator. roland might have something like that in the gt6 or gt8.
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Ah, maybe it was the J-Station I was thinking of.

My old DOD GS30 floor processor (similar to the GT6) also has a bass simulator in it which is pretty cool, but it's also got one and two octave down modes for the pitch shifter which also sound pretty good, though not as convincing.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I know the Digitech GNX3 has a gtr->bass effect. So probably their other processors do as well. It's pretty lame-o, but will do the job in a pinch if you're really not wanting to get a bass.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I use a Boss Super Octave OC-3 since we don't have a bassist, but that was live only. In the studio, I use a bass. The OC-3 is the best octave pedal I've found so far, with pretty good tracking, but I don't think I'd ever record with it in place of the real thing. In a live setting, the low frequencies are there, but you'd notice the utter lack of tone when recording.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X