Floyd Rose Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Guitar

A buddy of mine just bought a propro Floyd Rose Redman guitar. It is an employee guitar. Swamp ash body in butterscotch and some kind of custom gold pickups. It was crazy expensive and he is bringing it over on Friday night for me to check out. He is raving over the trem stability and how easy it is to change strings. He did a complete string change in around 2 minutes and the guitar was instantly in perfect tune and remained in tune under any circumstance. I will post a review and pics when it arrives. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Floyd Rose Guitar

Prepare to be impressed. The necks on those things will break your heart - just incredible. Very fast and smooth with great fretwork and killer pickups, to boot.

I can't wait for your review.
    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

I really enjoyed the two I played, but they were seriously expensive for a pretty plain looking guitar - Also, I had a Brian Moore MC1 which I initially liked, then never played and then couldn't sell, so I decided to wait and see if the Floyd guitars are still in production in a couple of years!
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

This one was $2000.00 used. He said he broke a b string when he was checking it out for the first time and the guy replaced it and he was up and playing again in perfect tune in 45 seconds. He told me the strings are prestretched. You just pop them on, fine tune and you are good to go. I can't wait to check it out.

Comment

2k used!?!?!? I agree that they are fantastic guitars but they're less than 2k new. GC in Kirkland, WA had a stack of them for 1500 or so in all colors and configs.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I met Floyd Rose at last summer's NAMM, and he was one of the most down-to earth, respectful, and all-around people I've ever met. We chatted for a bit and he gave me Andy Pappicio's (Floyd's partner) business card and invited me to visit the factory when I'm in Seattle for work. I have been very curious to try a Floyd guitar as well.

George

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              2k used!?!?!? I agree that they are fantastic guitars but they're less than 2k new. GC in Kirkland, WA had a stack of them for 1500 or so in all colors and configs.

[/ QUOTE ]
              Hey Tim, that price is what he told me. I looked up on Ebay and I saw several prepro non serialized Redmans similar to what he has with a buy now of $1100.00. His is swamp ash with the gold pickups and is butterscotch so I don't know if that makes a difference. He called the factory and they told him that his guitar had a list price of $2800.00 but was not available for sale. He was told it was one of the few hand made models and his is one of the first. BTW.. he paid $12.99 for 1 set of strings!!! Too pricey for me.

Comment

Eek!!! First off, you can get the strings for 8 bucks.

Secondly (and most important), ALL of the original Floyd Rose guitars to get into distribution were hand made - necks and bodies and pickups and pickguards. I don't know how many they made like that or if they are still making them like that but those guitars are fucking brilliant. I've been to their shop in Redmond several times and saw them making them. JT is the MAN. He can setup/build a guitar like you wouldn't believe. He designed the pickups, machined the original Speedloaders, shaped bodies and necks, you name it. It floored me at how good my Ibanez JEM was that JT worked on for me. My buddy that sold me the JEM couldn't believe it either. From the sounds of it they aren't building them completely in house anymore, so if your friend actually gets a hand built one then he got something special indeed - paying a premium for that could very well be worth it now.

BTW, I played some of the import Floyd Rose guitars a few weeks back. They are pretty damn good. They are $400. In terms of components, the biggest difference is the electronics are not as good and the bridges are made by Ping (like the cheap Speedloader BC Rich's). The necks and bodies were pretty good. So if someone is looking to check out a Speedloader guitar without dropping big $$$, give them a chance as they are much better than the cheapie BC Rich guitars. You can always pop the pickups and bridge out over time if you dig it. I confirmed with Floyd's shop that the Ping bridge is 100% compatible with the "real" Schaller made one so you can swap them no problem.

- Newc

Comment

I tried in Frankfurt the 3 different versions (USA, Korea and Chinese)andI'm now seriously gassing for the korean version. The korean version has an US neck but a korean body and pingtrem, as said the trem is easily swapped for schaller so that just leaves the body which sounded great accoustically so I think I'm going to keep that

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Eek!!! First off, you can get the strings for 8 bucks.

Secondly (and most important), ALL of the original Floyd Rose guitars to get into distribution were hand made - necks and bodies and pickups and pickguards. I don't know how many they made like that or if they are still making them like that but those guitars are fucking brilliant. I've been to their shop in Redmond several times and saw them making them. JT is the MAN. He can setup/build a guitar like you wouldn't believe. He designed the pickups, machined the original Speedloaders, shaped bodies and necks, you name it. It floored me at how good my Ibanez JEM was that JT worked on for me. My buddy that sold me the JEM couldn't believe it either. From the sounds of it they aren't building them completely in house anymore, so if your friend actually gets a hand built one then he got something special indeed - paying a premium for that could very well be worth it now.

BTW, I played some of the import Floyd Rose guitars a few weeks back. They are pretty damn good. They are $400. In terms of components, the biggest difference is the electronics are not as good and the bridges are made by Ping (like the cheap Speedloader BC Rich's). The necks and bodies were pretty good. So if someone is looking to check out a Speedloader guitar without dropping big $$$, give them a chance as they are much better than the cheapie BC Rich guitars. You can always pop the pickups and bridge out over time if you dig it. I confirmed with Floyd's shop that the Ping bridge is 100% compatible with the "real" Schaller made one so you can swap them no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim, when he brings the guitar over I think he is going to want to make a deal on trading it to me. He always gets great guitars (remember the Pencilsketch Gargoyle Soloist??) That was him. He has had hundreds of guitars and they are all outstanding. Really outstanding. I might have to do a 2 for 1 to get it but if it is available for trade I am going to try to jump on it.
                    He bought a 2004 Ibanez RGT3120TDB used around 6 weeks ago for $1200.00. It was one of the finest chunks of wood I have ever played. When he saw the Floyd Rose guitar he went to the store and traded in the RGT towards it. They only gave him $600.00 for the Ibanez and he kicked in an additional $700.00 and walked out with the Floyd. It was an employees guitar for sure. This is the typical mode of operation for him. When he wants a guitar he goes to any means to get it instantly regardless of monetary loss. This means I need to come up with 1 or 2 guitars worth $1300.00 to him. I have several Ibanez and a few Jacksons that he might like. Like I said, I can always do a 2 for 1. I am looking forward to checking it out.

Comment

John, see if he wants a Seattle SL-1 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- Newc

Comment

memories!!!

Comment

Fellows, a quick note on the Ping bridges.. Floyd told me that for years he's ben living under the stigma of the Licensed Floyd Rose bridges, because frankly the production standards on most were much inferior to the original, hardened steel FR. Floyd said that when he made the licensing agreement with Ping for the Speedloaders, he was assured that they would be using the exact same materials and manufacturing process as the German counterparts.(Schaller) So I believe the Ping bridge should be as good as Schaller.

George

Comment

So Tim.. what do you think it is worth just in case!

Comment

John, I spoke with a fellow in Floyd's Redmond shop today. They have NOT changed how the Redmond series guitars are being built. They are all being built in Redmond, WA from the bodies and necks they craft their. Unless having some really low serial number or unserialized guitar really means something to you (or the seller), I would price it according to what you can get one for used - somewhere between 1000-1350 would be fair I think.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X