Gibson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson?

I finally dug into that V project and found this hiding on the back of the headstock:

Look like a Gibson number? July '89? I was originally told that it was a Gibson but later that it might possibly be a Hamer. Not that it really matters, I'm just curious.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Re: Gibson?

Not a USA Gibson number AFAIK.My 87 USA Hamer(chaparral) is 719507.Being an 8 digit number makes me think an import mfg maybe.Just a guess.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Hmmm, I thought most post-70s USA Gibsons were numbered like this:

YDDDYPPP
      YY is the production year
      DDD is the day of the year
      PPP is the plant designation and/or instrument rank.

Is that incorrect?
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

that looks like a gibson to me.]

made in 1989 on the 201 first day

Comment

D'oh! I should have sanded a bit more before posting, I'm more confident after finding this:

Comment

Hmm. USA Hamers should have a 6 digit number (4 if it's from the first year or so). According to Richard's serial #, his would be an 1987, the 19507th Hamer ever built. I don't know much about Gibson's serial number system. But hey, made in the USA. Can't go wrong.

Comment

It's a Gibson (or a forged Gibson).

Comment

Working...
              X