Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson info, explorers in particular (Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson info, explorers in particular (Pics)

Hey guys!

I'm probably gonna trade my SL2 for an '85 Gibson Explorer, next week, like some of you already know.

But I'm a total Gibson Ignoree, or Noob if you will. Don't know anything about them and finding information about these explorer series is proving way harder than I had originally thought!

I think this is an Explorer I from '85, which means it has a mahogany body (which is a MUST! for me), but now I'm not too sure anymore, didn't get to check the cavities yet.

I'd really appreciate just whatever specs, details or info you could give me on this thing.

I also added some pics at the bottom!

Thanks dudes! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Re: Gibson info, explorers in particular (Pics)

Have you tried contacting Gibson? I e-mailed them when I bought a 1999 Flying V that looked like it had an ebony fingerboard instead of the usual rosewood. The first reply was a bit poor, but I pointed out that I'd spent a considerable amount of money on their products & I expected better customer service. The next reply was a cut & paste from their database. If it goes back that far, the database might have the info. you want. Good luck.
    Wal - Good from far, but far from good

Comment

According to my blue book, this is a description of the Explorer 1: Explorer(1)- Similar to Explorer II except has mahogany body, rosewood fingerboard with dot inlay, decal headstock logo, tune-o-matic bridge/stop tail piece or black Kahler Flyer tremelo, 2 uncovered humbuckers, available in black or white finishes, mfg. 1981-89.

Hope this helps.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Late 80's V's and Explorers, were a toss up between Alder and Mahogany. By 1989...they were ALL Mahogany, and back to the '67 V and '76 Explorer reissues (respectively)

It's kinda hard to tell unless you have some bare wood in a cavity or something. Although....look hard at it in the light, and you may be able to make out the grain patterns. You can usually see the Mahogany grain pattern under the paint in most cases.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Have you tried contacting Gibson? I e-mailed them when I bought a 1999 Flying V that looked like it had an ebony fingerboard instead of the usual rosewood. The first reply was a bit poor, but I pointed out that I'd spent a considerable amount of money on their products & I expected better customer service. The next reply was a cut & paste from their database. If it goes back that far, the database might have the info. you want. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already did, and the answer was pretty poor indeed. I specifically mentioned that I was wondering if it was Mahogany or not, I really explicitly asked, REALLY explicitly [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img], and 'Roger Ball' still didn't answer it.

[ QUOTE ]

This is the Explorer from 1985. triangular knob configuration, selector switch near knobs, no pickguard, custom graphic and original artist finishes optional, night violet offered as Custom Shop finish: mid 1984

Regards,
          Roger Ball
          Gibson Customer Service

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

OK, I'll be a dissenter... There's no way that I'd trade a USA Jackson for an Explorer. [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              OK, I'll be a dissenter... There's no way that I'd trade a USA Jackson for an Explorer. [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, that's just blind devotion to the mothership. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Nah, I've played 'em. Nice enough guitars, don't get me wrong. But not as nice as a USA J/C.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Yeah, but it's just an SL2 with no inlays, import trem and Armstrong pickups. I think it's a fair trade.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I hear ya Shreddermon. I would never trade a RR1, KV2, WR1, etc. etc. for an Explorer. But if I had an SL2(and I have played a few)it would be purely trade bait. The ones I tried did nothing for me. Your mileage may vary, as we all have different tastes.
                    Scott

Comment

Yeah, I've got SD's in it, though, but hey it's all good. And I AM getting some $350 on top of the explorer, so it's not a bad trade, I think.

Comment

$350 plus the Explorer for the SL2? [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] You are doing very well in my opinion.
                        Scott

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          $350 plus the Explorer for the SL2? [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] You are doing very well in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this thing got some pretty good response. Some other guy offered me a Tom Anderson Pro Am + some cash or an ESP Viper from the older production + cash.

All by all, all deals would reap me about the same value vs. the SL2 so i'm going with the gibby, which is a dreamguitar of mine + has the greatest chance of a good resale value.

Comment

Great deal indeed! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If I remember correctly those Explorers sold for less than the Explorers with the pickguards. I have one of the first years designer series and it had the knobs 3 in a row and pickguard. Action that would lay right on top of the frets and not buzz. Then they changed to the design pictured and the price went way down. I played one and did not like it. of course it is all personal taste. If I remember that is the style Newc likes.

Comment

Working...
                              X