Replacement nut for a PRS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement nut for a PRS

I have a 1991 CE24 and I need to replace the nut. The high E string is cut a little too deep. Any ideas where I can get a pre slotted replacement nut or should I just shim it. Another option would be to put a drop of crazy glue in the slot to build it up a little.

Re: Replacement nut for a PRS

Try putting some baking soda in the slot, put a drop of Crazy Glue on it, let it harden, then re-file the slot. Tape off the fingerboard with masking tape on both sides of the nut first. Works great...

Comment

I will try it tonight. Thanks Doug...

Comment

Get a bone nut made for it!

Comment

You can try using bone dust instead of baking soda. But it's still better to replace the nut for the long run.

Fong

Comment

I'm pretty sure PRS's use graphtech nuts, and any good store should have a replacement. I wouldn't try the "normal" ways of "fixing" the nut, the new material may cause the string to hang up. PRS trems stay in tune so well, I'd be afraid to screw with it... it might lead to more frustrations due to tuning difficulties.

Comment

PRS guitars actually have a compensated nut for improved intonation. If you plan to replace it, I'd be sure to get a proper replacement that takes this into account, as opposed to a traditional nut.

Comment

Riscchip is 100% correct. Use the baking soda method for a quick fix, but if you're thinking a replacement is necessary go with a compensated nut.
                Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

I didn't know that. I have a CE24 and the nut looks just like a graphtech nut, but with deeper slots. The guitar does not go out of tune, even when abusing the hell out of the bar.

Comment

I agree with the bone nut or graphtech nut.
                    Just get a blank and shape it and slot it to fit.
                    Its the best solution here, really.
                    if you cant do the work, take it to a shop. usually a nut replacement should run you about 45-55 for it all.

Comment

You can get PRS replacement nuts from a PRS dealer. They are a drop-in fit and are preslotted, so all you have to do is get a tech to fine tune the string slot depths a bit.

The 'compensation' is where the nut is located, not the nut itself. You can use any kind of nut if you wish. Bone is a favorite of mine.

Comment

In the 2003 PRS DVD, PAul Reed Smith refers to the nut material as "unobtanium" as a joke.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          In the 2003 PRS DVD, PAul Reed Smith refers to the nut material as "unobtanium" as a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul has referred to the Graph-Tech trem nuts (in PRS axes) as "Unobtanium" for years... But alas, spiffy marketing cannot change what a product IS, only how it´s percieved [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't think they are the same material, Graph-Tech nuts seem heavier and denser, the PRS nuts are lighter and seem more plastic-y.

Comment

Working...
                            X