Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing finish from a guitar with a poly finish??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing finish from a guitar with a poly finish??

Hello

I'm going to have a guitar refinished that I just got off ebay, it's got some chips that go to the wood and some wood has been broken off at the points (Dime 3 Stealth) so I want to remove the finish completely and fix those areas before I send it to be refinished, I don't trust the refinisher will respond to those issues properly since he is a autotmotive refinisher primarily but has had experience in guitar painting so I trust his ability, plus he will do a kick ass job with the graphic.

Okay so my question is, how do I remove the finish, I'm assuming it's finished in polyurethane (sp) because it looks FAR too thick to be nitro, and I doubt washburn would use nitro for this kind of guitar. Second, the guitar has beveled edges, whats the best way to approach this, Should I use a stripping agent like "Strip-Eze"? I'm not sure if I can get this in canada. Should I use another agent?

This is a set neck guitar, does that make a difference with what I use because of the necks glue joint? the neck and body are mahogany, and the body has a 3 1/4 of an inch maple cap on it, will this affect the product I use?,
    the serial number and "made in usa" logos are stamped in the headstock, will I need to use a scraper to get the paint out of there or will the solvent be enough??, is it important to get the paint out of all the cavities too? trem, pickup etc... Should I tape the fretboard off, or use something stronger to mask the fretboard, I want to take the finish off the side of the fretboard, should I sand that part instead of using a chemical?

I've stripped 3 guitar bodies before, never a setneck, and I've only used sand paper and elbow grease! HOLY shit did that hurt, I did migrate to a palm sander, but it rounded the edges of a sharp guitar too much, I want to stay away from removing any wood material so this means MINIMAL sanding,

the guitar has a V shaped neck, I don't want to sand it since it's a slight V also the headstock has a large diamond shape volute on it, any tips?

I have more questions I'm sure, this is too long winded now

Chris

Re: Removing finish from a guitar with a poly finish??

I have a Peavey Destiny that I have been working on, and getting ready to refinish. It too has a super thick poly finish on it. I didn't even bother trying to strip it, as I have heard that most strippers won't even touch poly. I took all the paint off using a random orbit sander, and a cabinetmaker's scraper. It's just a flat piece of metal with a sharp edge. You drag it towards you, across the finish, and it takes large flakes of finish off. It's also very easy to control.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Re: Removing finish from a guitar with a poly fini

Here are a couple ways.
      1. Heat
      2. Chemicals
      3. Sanding
      Just one more guitar!

Comment

Drizzle a very little bit of contact cleaner (tuner spray, not eye contacts [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) on it and guide it into one of the chips, letting it seep under the chip. This happened by accident to one of Ken's Warriors (WarriorX7) and the pic he posted showed the clearcoat being lifted in one big chunk. Not sure how far it spread, as he was trying to make it stop, and also not sure what it did to the paint.
        PM him and ask him whatever happened to it and how far it spread.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

That was a finish I didn't want removed! Eerie Dess, that was in near perfect condition.

Anyway....buy yourself a can of cheap Radio Shack contact cleaner, and do as Newc said, and guide it into one of the chips...I sprayed it into the pots, and it seeped under the finish on the face of the guitar, and spread over to the trem route....it found every weakness in the finish and exploited the hell out of it!
          Needless to say, it continued to spread over time, and I was able to peel 4" to 6" "flakes" of finish off the primer coat.

Comment

There is a spray stripper called "Aircraft Stripper" it is sold here in the US in autoparts stores. It will remove any finish, and quickly. It is kinda thick and easy to control. It is VERY caustic though...I may be nervous with a set neck guitar. You can always spray it in a container and brush it on..I have done this when I wanted to lift just the finish on an edge of a painted and cleared aluminum wheel.

Mike
            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

The trouble with aircraft stripper is that it will dissolve glue & plastic almost instantly. I'd be very hesitant to use it on anything other than a 1-piece bolt on body (it would suck if the glue dissolved & the neck fell off). [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

!!

[ QUOTE ]
                The trouble with aircraft stripper is that it will dissolve glue & plastic almost instantly. I'd be very hesitant to use it on anything other than a 1-piece bolt on body (it would suck if the glue dissolved & the neck fell off). [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that is why I said I would be weary of using on a set neck guitar! But man, does it strip!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Mike

Comment

Re: !!

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that is why I said I would be weary of using on a set neck guitar! But man, does it strip!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean wary.

Weary means tired.

Comment

Zeegler might be wary of the response to his post; the rest of us might be weary of spelling & grammar corrections. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Zeegler might be wary of the response to his post; the rest of us might be weary of spelling & grammar corrections. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hey Zeegs...have you been recruited by Ron?...LOL! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hey Zeegs...have you been recruited by Ron?...LOL! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am Ron's second in command in the Grammar Police. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Spelling Bee Winners, UNITE! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

This page has good tutorials on sanding, heat gun, & chemical stripping:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial5.htm

I'd sand it, myself. If you do end up sanding, make sure you wear a good mask & work in a well-ventilated area. There are some nasty things in that paint dust. A palm sander has worked well for me & I also recommend Norton 3x sandpaper, because it cuts faster and won't load up with the paint as you sand. Home Depot carries it.

It would be interesting to see if the contact cleaner works, though. I have a theory about Eerie Dess paint. I think it has adhesion problems with the clear and the primer, & that may have contributed to what happened to Ken's warrior. Seems like quite a few of the Eerie Dess guitars have problems with circular chips popping off as well. I don't know if it's the paint or the swirl technique or what, but something's up, imo.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean wary.

Weary means tired.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I was weary when I substitued weary for wary. But, thanks for the definition..... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X