PRS? ANYONE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PRS? ANYONE?

I love my cheap PRS and the Soapbar SEs, if I wanted to get a USA one I'd get a McCarty though. PRS guitars have my favorite necks (the wide-fat profile) but I don't really like the pickups either.

Comment

For metal, I think the bolt-on CE24s are the way to go. I've owned two of them over the years, and they were both nice-sounding guitars. I think having a maple neck gives them a brighter, crisper sound than the setneck Customs, which usually have mahogany necks. I owned a beautiful pre-'95 Custom 22 that I sold after a few months, because it just didn't have the sound I was looking for. I owned that one just before all of the PRS snobbery went into full gear. If I'd have held onto to it for a couple of years, I could have made some big coin, but to me guitars are for playing.

They really aren't shredder guitars, though. Jackson necks feel a lot more comfortable to me.

Comment

I really dig my CU24. It's very versatile. I love the clean sounds on the split channels.

Comment

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...PRS/front1.jpg

Comment

Here are 2 that I owned I also had a Custom 22 that I will get pics of later

I keep the bible in a pool of blood
            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I got this about a year ago. I think the pickups are ok - played through a Mesa Rectoverb they sound like they're pretty high output & there's a much thicker, bassier sound than a couple of Gibsons I've got, which can sound a bit bright higher up the neck - especially on a clean channel.

The flame isn't as clear or "stand out" as I'd like, but the Blue Matteo is a cool colour. I agree about the 5 way rotary though - no "on/off toggling" like you can on a three way switch & a lot slower to change between neck & bridge settings.
              Wal - Good from far, but far from good

Comment

I hate the 5 way switch too....Man Blue Matteo is my fav PRS finish
                I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

i hated the 5 way rotary switch at 1st...
                  but eventually i kinda got used to it and don't mind it as much.
                  like a little quirk that makes a prs, a prs...lol

Comment

I definately love the way the 5 way rotary splits the pickups. Nice clean tone. To me PRS is the best of both worlds, clean strat sounds with nice fat gibson crunch.
                    Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

I WANT ONE!!!!!!
                      [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a ce24 and don't play it much since I got my Jacksons,they are nice guitars though

Comment

I've owned a bunch of pre-91 PRS guitars, this is the one (1989 CU24) I kept because is the best sounding one I've owned. I dig the old school non-10 tops, they have more character.

Comment

I'm tempted to pick up one of those Soapbar SE's. They look kinda cool and for the price, they seem to be a good deal. I haven't play one yet so I don't know what to expect soundwise. Anyone played one of these?

Lex - How does that mini-toggle function? Does it scoop out the mids?

Comment

That is a sweet looking PRS.
                              [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Lex - How does that mini-toggle function? Does it scoop out the mids?

[/ QUOTE ]
                                It's one of the old Sweet Switches. When you kick it in, it sort of sounds like a half-cocked wah pedal, sort of Schenker-y. Here is what Eric Pritchard had to say about it (he came up with it for PRS):
                                "Paul Smith called me sometime over 20 years ago and relayed the Carlos Santana's complaint that when he was playing with a wireless, the guitar was too trebly. I suggested that it was created by using a short cord instead of a long jack cord. Well, having a long cord was not too workable, even wound up, so I suggested using a delay line. After messing around with a bunch of lines and investigating the market, Paul settled on a 75 ohm, 150 nanosecond, 10 section delay line and then put it on a double pole double throw mini toggle switch so it could be switched in and out."

Comment

Working...
                                X