Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Classical guitars- What is a good brand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classical guitars- What is a good brand?

I'm interested in a classical guitar, but I know nothing about them. What is a decent brand in the $400 to $600 range used?

There are a lot of really fantastic looking spanish made guitars, but I have no idea were to start.

Re: Classical guitars- What is a good brand?

Takamine and Yamaha make great classcal guitars for low price.
    You should go to Guitar Center and try them all.
    They usually have 50 different classical guitars in stock.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Takamine and Yamaha make great classcal guitars for low price.
      You should go to Guitar Center and try them all.
      They usually have 50 different classical guitars in stock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frankly, I have never had a good experience trying out guitars at guitar center. They are all far to beat, plus I'd hope to find something from a spanish luthier, maybe something a bit more obscure.

It's the same thought as why I could never have gone to a GC to try out a USA Jackson, simply because they never have any. I'd immagine the same would hold true for classical guitars and the Jackson of classicals is hidden out there.

Comment

Many electric guitars are beat up at GC with strings broken, out of tunes and sometimes super high string action BUT when I used to visit GCs,Most of Classical guitars were in very good condition.
        I actually like to go to Acoustic/Clasical booths of GCs instead also because usually it is quiet and able to play and hear what you are playing.

Ramirez is great classical brand but the ones I tried, the expensive ones($2000 and up) were amazing(the best) but the cheaper ones ($1000 or so) were not so great.
        I didn't find differences from Takamine I played.

When I played the expensive Ramirez at GC one day, I just couldn't stop playing for 30mins and I really thought the guitar played and SOUNDED GREAT!
        Very rich and deep.

Comment

La Patrie Etude.....

Comment

I'm still playing a '78 Framus, and it is one extremely awesome guitar. Beautifully flamed maple neck!
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              La Patrie Etude.....

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

I teach classical guitar, and you will not find a substantially better guitar until you break $1500 or so. It is my primary recommendation to all my beginning students.

Comment

Wow, that LaPatrie is 290 with a case! What if I wanted a 7 string? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Yngwie Fuck1ng Malmsteen plays with Ovation, why don't you? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I saw Yng play the Ovation with G3 last year...difficult to describe [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I have to say he was very, very impressive on the classical guitar.
                    Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Yngwie Fuck1ng Malmsteen plays with Ovation, why don't you? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they sound like ass? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        La Patrie Etude.....

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

I teach classical guitar, and you will not find a substantially better guitar until you break $1500 or so. It is my primary recommendation to all my beginning students.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coolness, I'll start keeping an eye out for these.

Comment

Cordoba, and Ramirez also make niced classicals for under 600. Yamaha and Takamine make nice ones for the price range
                          too. Play a few and pick what sounds best. I cant speak for every GC but I know we try to keep the guitars in as good a condition as possable. but the customers out number us. So sometimes a few get missed from time to time.
                          Gil

Comment

GC is a good place to check out classical guitars. They have a good variety and are usually in good shape since most 15 year old punks don't go to GC to bash on a classical -lol.
                            Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I took the advice and purchased a La Patrie Concert Classical. I'm damn looking forward to it.

Thanks all!

Comment

Working...
                              X