GMW Playability and feel??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMW Playability and feel??

<font color="yellow">I recently bought Markus' blue GMW Strathead, but haven't received it yet.

Since I've never played/owned a GMW anything, what are your impressions of them??

Sound, playability, San Dimas vibe??

Just want to hear what you guys have to say about them.

I'm excited to get it and check it out and add to the herd [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] </font>

Re: GMW Playability and feel??

Mine HRF is great. Sounds, plays, and looks great. The neck I got from them is kick ass too. Like any custom guitar it's gonna depend on what you ask for.

BTW, what is this San Dimas vibe that you speak of? Is that a new dance?
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

<font color="yellow"> [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Well, the only San Dimas guitars I have are pointies, 2 Charvel and 1 Jackson....and I've heard that the neck profiles/shape are a bit different between them.

So, just kinda asking the masses who own either true Stratheads or GMW's and the comparisons.

I've been jonesing for a Strathead for a while, just can't afford the $$ for a legit Charvel at this time and probbably for quite some time to come [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

</font>

Comment

I have 3 GMWs and love them all: They all have one piece maple necks and each guitar feels great. They each feel slightly different from each other, but that may be to do with scalloped heels / reverse headstocks etc. For what it's worth, Lee told me that the GMW neck profile is based on an old Charvel Strathead....
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Generally, the neck spec is right where you would hope - wide/thin without feeling like an Ibeenhad - I like it alot and it is comparable to my SD pointies (you will like it unless you are used to a particular early legit SD and have something very particular in mind - like a more rounded backshape).

As for the "vibe" - I have found there is only one way to get that - you have to oil and play the damn thing just like any other guitar.

All in all, the GMW s-heads are good, consistent guitars IMHO.
          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

<font color="yellow">Thanks.....the necks on all my pointies are very similar in shape/feel but my favorite is the 85' Charvel I got recently.

I'm psyched to get the GMW....on Monte's site it is mentioned as a San Dimas replica Strathead.

</font>

Comment

I must have had 20 or so GMWs in my time....There is a reason for that...the necks are great. The rest of the work, body, finish, hardware and set-up are great too. But when I got my first GMW back in 2000 (I simply found them on the web) I fell in love with the neck profile.

The vibe does come when you play the guitar alot and make it your own. I have GMWs that have never left the case because it is hard to get to them all...and I consider that a shame. They should be played.

Monte

Comment

if you like the feel of Jacksons and Charvels you'll be comfortable with the GMW. The necks feel great (I have a Charvel replica) and it plays and sounds great. When I got from Lee it was set with a super low action w/o any fret buzz. I had to raise it because I like a higher action. I'm sure you be 100% happy once you get your hands on it.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Unless that Customwoods neck was spec'd from a GMW it could be a bit different from others GMW necks,I'd assume they're very similar but difficult to say without having both in hand!!
                  Both CW & GMW necks are based on an SD Charvel profile but those varied slightly so there may be a slight difference from the CW to the GMW!!

Comment

GMW rules! I love mine, just an incredible playing and sounding guitar, and james is right the more I play and break it in the better it feels. Adding my own Mojo!
                    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

That Custom woods neck is great. It has wonderful birdseye, smooth feel and a very nice progile....very San Dimas-ish.

I think you will enjoy that guitar.

Monte

Comment

I fully agree with just about everything said in this thread. I love my GMW and have another on the way.

My GMW is the first guitar I've found that gives me the I'll take you to the grave vibe [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Can anyone compare the feel of a GMW neck to a guitar other than a SD Charvel? I have never played a SD so when people compare the 2 I'm lost.

Comment

a slimmer profile Fender Strat neck with jumbo frets.
                            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

What nick said, also, generally - both SDs and GMW rely on is oil finished necks - not clear coated/painted or whatever. Very smooth and comfy to play. Once you get used to playing a neck without a "hard" finish, it is very hard to go back.
                              "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Working...
                              X