"It's ready for paint....."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: \"It\'s ready for paint.....\"

Paddok, why did it take 7 months for your Star? If I remember I got my Star just before you did. Your's is a vintage trem and mines a Floyd [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I would think mine would be harder to do.

Granted, mine has a Warmoth neck so it was just a body but it still doesn't make sense to me...they're both solid black Stars.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I think its just a crap shoot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are probably right. My first GMW order was a little over 2 years ago. A Schenker V. The bodies were done and they "were ready for paint." After 4 months it was the same deal, so I asked Lee just to build a Strathead from scratch. That only took about 3 months to do the whole thing. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

On my last call to Lee (about 3 weeks ago), I asked him if he ever completed those Schenker Vs and he said "they're ready for paint." [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Paddok, why did it take 7 months for your Star? If I remember I got my Star just before you did. Your's is a vintage trem and mines a Floyd [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I would think mine would be harder to do.

Granted, mine has a Warmoth neck so it was just a body but it still doesn't make sense to me...they're both solid black Stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually my Star has a gold floyd.

But I think the reason was 1) I wanted a mahogany body, and that had to be cut and 2) I didn't like any of the necks Lee had "in stock" so I had him cut a new one just for the star.

Comment

Just read the post and I must say that I am amazed how you guys are so patient in waiting for your custom guitar but I know things are manic in the guitar makers world but the 26 month wait is beyond ridiculous I cannot believe that anybody can wait that length of time no matter how good it will be. Being a custom maker has and does present problems from time to time but with careful planning and the eagerness to work is what drives me and to be honest the longest any customer of mine has had to wait is 8 weeks and that was for a full blown custom Tony Iommi SG with all the trimmings. In all honesty a guitar can be made within a week MAX but paint does take a while but even then with modern finishes say at drying take 3 weeks and assembly at 2 days I simply cannot see the huge delay!!! But again everybodys circumstances are different and each to their own but its just my 2 cents! Kammo1

Comment

In the end, the wait really is worth it. Plus it really isn't so bad. Just make the down payment, and then get some new guitars while waiting.

Comment

Sorry man, I thought yours was a vintage. Nice Star bro...and since we're posting pics [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

this one was about a year wait form the time of my order to delivery.

I don't think I'd wait over 18 months for just a paint job or std re-fin unless it was a killer grapic that only dan can do. For a complete build I probably would tho.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

It is 100% worth the wait. You are getting a star quality guitar that Charvel cannot reproduce for whatever reason. I have 4 of these guitars and I just put in an order for a custom 6th. Good things come to those who wait and look at the client list.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Sorry man, I thought yours was a vintage. Nice Star bro...and since we're posting pics [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have good taste. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I thought GMW wasn't a Jackson shop any more, so who at Jackson is letting them build LTDs for Zakk but not for anyone else?
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well, there's one in every crowd, but I don't think they are worth the wait at all. As most of you know, I've owned probably a dozen GMWs and I like them, but I don't think they are magical at all, and I certainly don't think they are worth waiting any more than about four months for. Twenty six months? No friggen way.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I thought GMW wasn't a Jackson shop any more, so who at Jackson is letting them build LTDs for Zakk but not for anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

....huh? the LTD that zakk has is a jackson, and the PDV is, well, a sandoval guitar that jackson has no say so over.
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

....huh? the LTD that zakk has is a jackson, and the PDV is, well, a sandoval guitar that jackson has no say so over.

[/ QUOTE ]

heheh... Ed Romans http://www.edromanguitars.com/rock/wylde.htm PDV which he is leading people to believe he built that for Zakk
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Ah. Wasn't aware that Zakk was switching to other non-Jackson Vs. I don't follow him. He sucks [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

**Runs away and hides in his Asbestos Bunker filled it Halon [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] **
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Being a custom maker has and does present problems from time to time but with careful planning and the eagerness to work is what drives me and to be honest the longest any customer of mine has had to wait is 8 weeks and that was for a full blown custom Tony Iommi SG with all the trimmings. In all honesty a guitar can be made within a week MAX but paint does take a while but even then with modern finishes say at drying take 3 weeks and assembly at 2 days I simply cannot see the huge delay!!! But again everybodys circumstances are different and each to their own but its just my 2 cents! Kammo1

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how much work you have on though, and staff levels. I make guitars for a living also, and im booked out until at LEAST the end of march 2006, and thats assuming i dont have any rush orders, upgrades (one client just added a full weeks labour worth of upgrades onto his order), etc etc.
                                --
                                Regards,
                                Perry

www.ormsbyguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                                X