Eric Johnson Strat on the way...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eric Johnson Strat on the way...

We had one of these for a few days at work and I played it. I didn't really like how it sounded, but I'm not a Strat guy as far as tone goes, it did sound good for what it was. I LOVED the neck however-real fat and round on the back, very comfortable for me. Probably my favorite Fender neck ever. I can see these being very popular.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Is the Eric Johnson model manufactured by the custom shop?

[/ QUOTE ]
      My understanding is that the first 1000 are being assembled in the Custom Shop.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I found this pic of Eric on Robins site looking to see if Vandenberg used them in that one video from the 80's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shawn - not to hijack the EJ Strat thread, but I'm all but certain that Vandenberg was using a Mighty Mite parts guitar in that "Burning Heart" video - it's been about 22 years since I've seen it, but I remember the 3-coil "Motherbucker" pickup in the guitar. I had just discovered the old Hamer "Prototype" about that time which also had that single coil & humbucker in a single ring configuration so that really stuck with me.

Comment

Vandenberg actually used Dick dijkman strat, which Adje made in cooperation with Dick Dijkman, but because Dick also uses parts from other manufacturers it could very well have had a mighty might pup in the bridge position

Comment

Ok, here's the review...

The bad:

1) Could the neck be any fatter? [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

I don't think so, this thing rivals the R8 Les Paul I have.

2) Stick'um anyone? [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

The laquer Fender uses on their necks are the WORST. They have a sticky quality that I absolutely can't stand (and neither can most everyone else judging by the amount of complaints I read about it).

If I keep the guitar, the back of the neck will be sanded down similiar to my relics and given a coat of danish oil. Problem solved.

3) "Fret"-work

Once again, the fretwork from Fender leaves alot to be desired. A 12" radius fretboard and the action is not where it should be (it's not horrible, but it ain't great either...).

The Good:

1) The guitar sounds amazing. Period.

2) There are alot of cool features on the guitar that make it interesting:

- Staggered tuners along with a deepened headstock face allow for no string tree.

- The body has "deep" contouring that matches one of Eric's favorite guitars.

- The string access holes in the trem block are drilled to a shallower depth to meet Eric's tonal requirements.

- No trem cavity cover or any holes drilled for a cover.

- And the best feature (IMO), no artist signature on the headstock (I hate that sh*t). The neckplate says EJ along with the serial#.

So overall, i'm leaning towards keeping it and making some mods (like taking the laquer off the neck). There is a chance I will run up to Guitar Center and try out a 56 relic and consider that instead for roughly $800 more (I have 30 days to decide).

Comment

I knew the sticky neck issue from the reviews I have seen like I posted earlier.
              From the description of the Fender, I thought it will have a very thin finish but seems like wrong.
              Also Flame Neck pictures from Fender, very misleading as the EJ Strats I have seen have necks almost plain Maple.

I'd probably buy a used custom shop NOS 50's Strat and modify it to play better if I wanted a Strat..
              I have done that with a custom shop 62 relic and it was an amazing player after I changed the frets and bridge pickup...

Comment

Ralph can you describe the tone a little bit?
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                X