old acoustic archtops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old acoustic archtops

Anyone have any good recommendations or experience with archtop acoustics with the f-holes? I am thinking something like a Kay, Silverton, Kraftsman, etc....something old but cheap. I guess in the end all of the lower-end ones from back then are from the same factories, though.

Re: old acoustic archtops

My father-in-law has a 1959 Silvertone. Extremely high action, chunky fat neck, tiny frets but cool looking. He still has the original case, the cardboard box and the Sears and Roebuck receipt.
    I think you can get them fairly cheap. Like you said most were made by the same company.

Comment

I can't remember if it's an archtop or not, but I played this Harmony once called a Sovereign that I thought sounded really good.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I can't remember if it's an archtop or not, but I played this Harmony once called a Sovereign that I thought sounded really good.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a flattop. A damned good one, too.

Comment

<font color="aqua"> My wife actually picked up an old "Orpheum" archtop at an auction (estate sale) for $35 that was in 2 pieces (body and neck) and it was in really rough shape. I thought it would make a perfect "slide" guitar so I epoxied the neck back onto the body and gave it an old gibson looking refin. The finish really looks alot worse than the pic shows...[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I added Gibson tuners and the string trapeze and made the bridge, 5 ply pickguard and bracket for her.....It also has brass frets! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I installed an old dean markly acoustic pickup and it actually sounds pretty good. I should really get better pics now that I have a decent camera.

</font>
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Working...
          X