Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know anything about BC Rich Gunslingers?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know anything about BC Rich Gunslingers?...

..I've wanted one for ages, but don't know anything much about them.

Is there anything I should be looking out for (either good or bad) as I've seen one on the UK ebay and don't want to pay over the odds and find that I've bought a crap one!

The one I have my eye on says USA on the neck plate and on the headstock, but we all know about Fort Worth Charvels don't we?! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Any idea if the standard licenced floyd can easily be replaced with an OFR? (When I say easily, I mean a direct swap!)
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Re: Anyone know anything about BC Rich Gunslingers?...

Well...I'm the right person to respond, being they were designed by Class Axe, and I used to work there building 'em!...LOL!

If it says USA on the headstock, and on the plate, good chance it is a USA.They were knockoffs of the original Bernie Rico era ST guitars. Randy Waltuch (owner of Calss Axe) didn't buy the ST series name, but wanted to keep the guitars in the lineup. So he made a few changes to the design, and renamed them Gunslingers (typically single hum, and bolt on necks). The ST guitars were either neckthru or bolt on, depending on how you ordered it. So there was a Class Axe neckthru version also. There was also another version called the Outlaw....but it's just another extension of the Gunslinger (or GS) lineup.

Also...as for a OFR matchup....the USA Gunslingers used both Takeuchi Floyds, and Kahler 2700 Spyders (for an upcharge) The Takeuchi version will accept an OFR in it's place.

Comment

Dude,
      That's sounds perfect, and thanks for your help: when I get some pics sent through, I'll post em....
      Cheers
      Ian

Comment

I always liked the Gunslinger with a maple neck and the lightning graphic. Sweet guitars!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Here're some pics: they're not great quality but any thoughts?
          I figure that the trem is a Takeuchi as it ain't a Kahler Spyder so that's good if it means an OFR will go straight in.....any idea what block length it'd need?

Comment

Just another thought - I'm assuming that the graphic is a factory finish?

Comment

those trems are made by gotoh, and are pretty nice, imo. i had one on an STIII, and there was another STIII that i cleaned up and set up for our own charvelguy on the board. imo, there's no need to swap it out.

the neckshape on those things are to die for. they've probably got my favorite neck profile i've ever played. the backshape changes a little as you move up the neck.

the finish is probably factory, and if the price is good, get it.

ken, i have a question, though. i know that curt had 3 custom gunslingers that he ordered in 1988, definitely pre class axe. they're different from the ST series, so i guess i'm unclear about the history here. not doubting you, but i'm confused b/c gunslingers did exist before class axe. i also thought that tracii guns was an endorsee of bcr, and the gs was kinda named after him.

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Re: Anyone know anything about BC Rich Gunslingers

Gunslingers existed before Class Axe. ST-III is the Class Axe designed shape.

Comment

Also Gunslingers are NOT neck-thrus. For a BC Rich Superstrat to be a Gunslinger it has to be a bolt-on and has to have single bridge humbucker(slanted for the 99% of the time).

Comment

Glad you doubt someone who worked there Vel, and actually built these!

Sully, yes...the BC Rich logoed trems are Gotoh. Class Axe only used Takeuchis and Kahlers (and the odd OFR if someone requested it) Class Axe offered a lot of options with any of their guitars.

Tracii Guns (which yes, Randy W. named it after)The name Gunslinger didn't exist before Class Axe, but he was a Class Axe endorsee, and the guitars he played before that were ST's. I have catalogs...both California, and Class Axe...I have to dig them up.

And Vel...you're wrong about the ST III....that was designed by Wayne Charvel in 1985/6 (ask Neal Moser....he knows more about the company history than I do) It started out as a pointy Super strat kinda thing, and then Bernie didn't think it would sell in that shape, so they changed the shape to the current version, which is more Strat-like (rounded body edges, slightly smaller than the GS's).

As for GS's not being neckthru....the majority are bolt on, and yes...I built SEVERAL neckthru Gunslingers while I was there. Neckthru was an option from the custom shop. No...they're not as common, but they do exist. The Outlaws typically had one slanted humbuck at the bridge too. Those were the ones the holes were seen in.

Comment

cool Info here lads,cheers it has been an interesting read

I fell in love with BC Rich when Tony Macalpine used them(i think he had a green crackled ST)I have an old american custom ST but its too hard to trace the history of these Bolt ons-Great guitars and build

Comment

Hey WarriorX7..........I used to own 3 Outlaw BCR's. I had the pearl white one that changed colors, day-glo green and a metallic red one with gold hardware. I loved em alot. It's a long story how I parted with them, but it was something I had to do.

I don't have anything to add to the subject of Gunslingers, but they are one of the most badass axes I have ever played

Comment

To add a little to the Outlaw. Mine had a humbucker at the bridge and a single coil at the neck. None of mine had a slanted humbucker though. They were all straight on mine. I have seen them in many colors including a solid white one with giant holes drilled through the body. They called them speed holes. I thought that was rediculous. If you were using your guitar as a paddle I could see a use for them. All of my Outlaws had EMG-Select pickups and there was one volume, one tone and a 3 way blade switch. I bought them in July of 89. Another oddball NJ I had was a Warlock that was set up just like a Gunslinger more or less. It had a heavey mahogony body with the blood red and black crackle finish. It had one slanted EMG-Select humbucker and one volume. It had all black hardware which included a very crappy single locking Floyd copy. It had one of the best playing necks I could ever wish for. It was a maple neck with the pointy headstock and it was reverse. The most unusual thing was it had a maple board with black diamond inlays. Very odd for a Warlock to me, but that was one of the things that made me want it so bad. I bought it in Las Cruces NM in March of 91. It didn't say "NJ Series" anywhere on it, but the pointy headstock shape was the same as the one on my NJ Series Outlaws. Hmmmmm. I wish I still had them all. If you are familiar with that one Warrior give me some history.

Comment

ST-3 existed in 1985 way before class axe, trust me i had a couple of early ones prior to BCR stamped neckplates, they also had kahler PROs.
                            there are NECK THRU & boltons of ALL BCR shapes.
                            Wayne Charvel did NOT design any BCRs he was a consultant & help set up the equipment to make production boltons somethign BCR had not done prior to 85. Since the ST-3 was just a modifed ST which was a strat with eagleish looking horns when they first started. all bolt ons prior to that were hand mades or made at charvel/jackson.
                            i thought gunslingers existed a YR before the Class Axe buy out, but Ken you would know better than i.
                            Many people who bought BCR around the time of the classaxe buy out had no clue there guitars were NOT being built by BCR or that there guitars were completed by class axe. Tracii was an endorsee & he might not know it but some of his guitars were class axe made. its not like today where when fender bought J/C everyone knew about it. when Class Axe bought BCR alot of people knew nothing about it at all.

Comment

I have a USA Outlaw, the bridge hum is slanted. In fact it is basically like Gunslinger with the neck single added. The neck single I believe is slightly angled as well. It reminds me much of a MB-1. I bought it here off the forum from A. Pulverizer (Alex).... nice axe. ANDY..was great to deal with also. (plug for Andy..haven't seen him in awhile)

Sully, that ST3 is probably my fav axe since I got it. It has something going on for it that I have yet to find out of my other Rich's. The Gotoh floyd is fine..it'll stay in tune unless you don't like the look or feel of the Takeuchi floyd. There's really no need to swap it.

I think the dude from Poison (C.C. Deville-had a senile moment there [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])played a few customs as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X