tokai les paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tokai les paul

how are these Tokai versions? I see alot of good guitarists using them (nightwish guy, Roope LAtvala ex:stone/children of bodom) and some others. hows the build quality on these? worth the money?

Re: tokai les paul

I have never tried one but pickup a Edwards(ESP) Les Paul custom.It is great guitar very well built.It matches my early Pros (90-91)as far attention to detail and quailty.It also comes with real Duncans which is plus.NOTP has one also and likes it lot.The thing that made me go after one was the ebony board.All the other copies that I saw had rosewood.The neck profile is also NOT baseball bat thick , sort of a slightly beefier soloist profile.The only thing they cheap out on IMO are the inlays they are fake MOP but other than that no complaints.
    Mike
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Tokai makes a number of Pauls at a number of price points. The highest end ones are spectacular instruments with greeat wood, great craftsmanship and lots of vibe to them. The early 80's burst copies are just silly good guitars. The low end bolt neck guitars are completely non-descript (in the way 90% of all imported copy guitars are just above canoe paddle quality) If you can find a high end one at a good price, you'll be thrilled with it. The high end Tokai's are very high quality and very consistent. Their good 335's are just killer axes. If you get a mid quality guitar, the brand becomes less of a factor, you know?

jim
      Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Even the Korean ones are great for the price. Build quality is where they shine because I'm sure the wood isn't top grade but it's still constructed like an LP and the frets and feel on mine is top notch.

The pups are not great but, the electronics on this thing are high quality with excellent soldering and even insulated cavity.

I have played a ton of Epi's and never had one that play like this and I am a shred head so the set up of a guitar has to be good. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

i got to play the flame top LP & the reissue style SG they make. both were really nice guitars but needs some mods. i nice set of tuners & pickups & i think they would kick some serious ass. both had kluson type which suck ass even if they were real, or at least IMO. i played the SG copy alot more than the LP that thing was sweet im not a big LP fan.

Comment

Model 88 pretty much covered the ESP/Edwards argument. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I just wish that I could somehow let other JCFers see how fantastic my Edwards Les Paul is, but I know that if I sell it, I'll regret it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Ebony board, too!

Comment

Yeah NOTP, you got a great deal with that LP. You basically got a LP at a Korean Love Rock price! The ebony and the Duncan Pups put that guitar over the top!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Really? How much was your Tokai? Because for some odd reason, I faintly remember your initial review stating that you got a killer deal for it, like sub-$500 or something. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

NOTP , you are the reason I went looking for a Edwards.After seeing your pics I developed a bad case of LP G.A.S. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I think I got a good deal on mine it was a back door deal on ebay , $680.00 shipped no case.I was looking at a Limited Editon Standard that Gibson has and the Edwards is every bit as good.If they were allowed to import them Gibson would be in deep trouble.
                  Mike
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] That's a great deal. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Mine didn't include shipping, and I also got raped on the import taxes and customs. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Here is a very cool and informative site: tokai registry

Jason

Comment

I borrowed a Tokai "Hard Puncher" bass from a friend of mine and almost wound up keeping it. It was a great P bass copy made in the early 80's and was great for the money. Then again, it's pretty hard to screw up a P bass design.

Comment

Go with the Japanese-made ones, the Korean ones are not as good. The Older Tokai stuff from the 80's is killer, I have a Tokai Strat I play all the time.

Comment

Working...
                          X