Wanna buy a cheap Gibson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna buy a cheap Gibson?

I found this link posted on another board, I don't know if any of you lot have seen this...
    http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/in...&news_id=42145

[img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Re: Wanna buy a cheap Gibson?

yeah.. the entry level market is boomin' everywhere I guess, due to several factors, so everyone is hoppin' on this unlimited bandwagon.. there's some $$$ to be earned in this segment..
    although I think its wise these guitars won't be branded as "Gibson"

Comment

Seen the ads in magazines for the handmade First Act models?

Seen an Agile? The potential is indeed frightening. Sadly, thoug, it looks like smaller, more customer-oriented shops like VWall and Matt's and OSG are going to take a serious hit in their local areas, which means they have to maintain a loyal repeat-business clientele, and a strong internet presence.

Even then, over-saturation of the market via Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and Target will ultimately lead to gluttony and then the "guitar fad" will die out, leaving a trail of dead "mom & pops" behind them, and we'll be faced with the residue of something even more vile than Gnu-Metal and Grunge - Gnu-Grunge-Death-Rap - Detuned flogging without solos and with grunted demonic rapping "Satan Says YEEAAAHH BOYEEEEE" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Interesting, I work for Sam's and have never heard of First Act. We barely move the instruments we have and they're decent quality name brand stuff. At low low prices of course [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
        1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

China indeed. In 5 years all budget guitars will be made in China.
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Makes a lot of sense for Gibson to do this, I'd say. There isn't a lot of room for them to grow in the traditional instrument-retailing environment, and this is a way to 'break out of the box', so to speak. I'm a bit surprised that the Daisy Rock folks haven't adopted this strategy, as well (who knows, maybe they have--I hate shopping and avoid big-box stores as much as possible)

I'm sure the guitars themselves will be utter shite, but then most of them will be purchased for 11-year old boys, who will bash them around for a few weeks until they get bored and go back to playing video games.

Comment

I say they will flop.

Look at the stigma associated with the Epiphone name that Gibson owns...as well as the now-dying Kramer name.

I think it's a really bad move on Gibson's part. They don't even have to say Gibson on the headstock...just the Gibson name associated with garbage-quality guitars. Not good...not good at all. Henry at Gibson is getting an itchy trigger finger lately it seems.

Comment

Seen the add for the First Act guitars that has Al Jorgenson from Ministry? First Act! Geesh!

Comment

Dude!...there's a bunch of First Act endorsers! Rick Neilsen from Cheap Trick....I couldn't believe it either!
                  But apparently, they do have a US custom shop too. But like most other guitar companies, their big money maker is in the imports.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    ...just the Gibson name associated with garbage-quality guitars. Not good...not good at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
                    agreed, this sounds REALLY lame. sort of a desperation tactic by a once-proud company.

what was it that got them in such financial trouble? they seem to be cutting a lot of corners these days.
                    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I don't know dude....but whatever it is...it sucks!

The Custom Shop stuff is still thru the roof as far as pricing goes, and even most of that is slipping in quality as well! I won't buy a post '93 Gibson (except for possibly a Historic Firebird or something along those lines)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        ...just the Gibson name associated with garbage-quality guitars. Not good...not good at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        agreed, this sounds REALLY lame. sort of a desperation tactic by a once-proud company.

what was it that got them in such financial trouble? they seem to be cutting a lot of corners these days.

[/ QUOTE ] Fender has been selling "Strat Packs" for a while and it doesn't seem to hurt them a bit.
                        Scott
                        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

well it has in my eyes. also, I'm just not a huge Fender fan, they are classics, and I did have an early Squier Telecaster, but I just prefer Gibsons and up to now they have not had to dive into the cheapie pool, it's just sorta depressing, ya know?
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Well, I don't see myself ever buying a new Gibson anyway. Mine are all over 10 years old and they are really great guitars. The newer ones are too expensive for what you are getting. That is the main reason I switched to Jackson several years ago. You were getting a killer guitar for the money. With the price increase now, I don't see myself buying a new Jackson either. The exception would be maybe a killer CS model, but no new USA Select. I have enough. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Used? That's another story. I can't seem to stop myself because the prices are so good.
                            Scott
                            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Gibson built their own plant in China about 3 years ago. they were just building Epi acoustics there, but I bet there will be lots of electric guitars built there as well.
                              I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Working...
                              X