Gibson quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson quality?

I've always wanted a Flying V, and have recently been looking at available new models. I can't really pay more than a grand or so, so vintage stuff is out of my range.

problem is, I have heard a some negative comments about Gibson's quality lately and have handled a couple of V's that appeared to have shitty fret jobs on them. I think any guitarist's first concern is the neck and fretboard quality, so this was a little disturbing.

any feedback from you guys on your experiences with recent Gibson quality on new guitars they are making now?

anyone own one of the Faded V's? if so, what has been your experience with that guitar's quality?

thanks.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Re: Gibson quality?

Dude...

Your best bet for both quality and price are the early 90's guitars. They can be had for under a grand, and the quality is all there. I'm also a die-hard Gibson guy myself, and I hate the new stuff....the quality IS going downhill slowly over the years. Explorers, Firebirds and V's are my thing as well. You can pick up an early 90's V or Explorer for around $8 to $900.00

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Dude...

Your best bet for both quality and price are the early 90's guitars. They can be had for under a grand, and the quality is all there. I'm also a die-hard Gibson guy myself, and I hate the new stuff....the quality IS going downhill slowly over the years. Explorers, Firebirds and V's are my thing as well. You can pick up an early 90's V or Explorer for around $8 to $900.00

[/ QUOTE ]
      thanks bro.

I have seen a few early 90's V's in that range on ebay, is there anywhere else you'd recommend I look? all the guitar stores here in LA want 1200+ for any used Vs, that's that store markup I guess.
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I just sent ya a PM bro! Smokin deal on the bay!
        As for other places?....Mom and pop stores usually sell them cheaper too. Keep away from the bigger stores like GC...they mark them up thru the roof!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I just sent ya a PM bro! Smokin deal on the bay!
          As for other places?....Mom and pop stores usually sell them cheaper too. Keep away from the bigger stores like GC...they mark them up thru the roof!

[/ QUOTE ] Ken, the black one for 7 bills? I saw it too, but I have my 81 and that's enough for me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Dat's the one Scott...

I'd be all over that one if I were in the market for a V
            Not a bad price, and it looks cool as hell!

Comment

I've seen quite a few nice used V's for sale...some at the chain stores. The sales guys tell me that they are tough to sell. I'll bet if you look for a bit, you'll fine a nice one for about 800 or less.

Comment

our GC here had a kahler equipped v for around $600 i think. not a bad player but the neck was HUGE (coming from a bolt on jackson/ibanez neck fan).

chris

Comment

Are there years to avoid for Gibsons? I see 80s Les Pauls on craigslist a lot.

Comment

"Gibson quality" - that's an oxymoron isn't it?
                    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I have a 2000 V and love it to death, one of my fav guitars.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        "Gibson quality" - that's an oxymoron isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO Gibson consistency is the oxymoron... Gibson has quality it is just a roller coaster ride [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Are there years to avoid for Gibsons? I see 80s Les Pauls on craigslist a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

The conventional wisdom is that '70s-early '80s Gibsons are the ones to avoid, however I disagree with part of that. I've owned a number of Gibsons made between '76 and '81, and they were all nicer than the very recent Gibbys I've played. I think the only ones to really watch out for are the guitars from the early '70s. That was a very difficult time in Gibson's history--I've played quite a few dogs from that era.

I think the rule with Gibsons of any era is that their quality is all over the place--you really have to play each individual instrument to know. The good thing is that if you buy a used Gibby, you can still turn around and sell it easily if you don't like it.

Comment

No issues with my Gibsons - 1963 SG Special; 1979 SG Standard; 1996 Les Paul Classic Premium Plus; 1998 SG Standard; 2002 Les Paul Standard 60's neck; 2004 Historic 1960.

I will agree that the newer regular production stuff is going downhill as far as quality. Look at a new LP Classic - ugly inlays, not even sharp edged any more, mutliple piece backs, Nashville TOM instead of the original ABR-1 TOM.

Gibson has gotten a big head and profits are all they seem to care about now. There are good ones out there, but you really need to know your stuff and be careful as to what you choose. I've been stupidly lucky with the Gibson guitars I've chosen, but I'm hesitant to push my luck any further.

Comment

i had a 98(i think) or 96 SG-Z, they only made them one yr. anyway the fretwork was great. the neck was touchy as most SG 61 reissue types are. there were some finish flaws & the binding was cracked or cracking in some spots at the frets. i didnt like the fact the MOP inlays seemed like cheap plastic. from a playing stand point nice guitar as far as workmanship it was a little lacking in some area. oh yeah & if you took the pickguard off the neck joint was messy & ugly as hell with big gaps, no way you could take it off even the the guitar was rear routed.

Comment

Working...
                              X