anyone like maple BCRs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: anyone like maple BCRs

Very cool guitar! Very close to mine...the only differences are body color, toggle arrangement, and mine had a black Kahler. Same red Derringer pups. Very nice!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      The Stealth body is much more sleek and comfortable than a star. The biggest drawback to mine was poor balance...it was neck heavy and you couldn't take your hands off of it live or the body would tilt forward and the neck would take a plunge. Also, if playing with the neck pickup, it was easy to accidently flip the toggle back to the bridge. The mini togles were: preamp, coil tap x 2, and a phase switch. Pretty easy to manage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, I have to say...were you playing a real Stealth? No I'm serious because both my '84 and '04 are the best balanced guitars I have ever played. I heard a rumour that Rick Derringer sketched the design for the Stealth on a Gibson Explorer. It does sound right because the Stealth fits neatly in that shape and as we all know the Explorer is one of the best balanced guitars out there. Sorry man, but I've never had a problem with either of my Stealths, just put 'em on and play! I'm amazed at how light, balanced, comfortable and sustaining they are. I guess that's why I own three. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Here's the '04. No comment about HHI [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I am fascinated by the configuration on those 84 stealth's. So I take it the mini's are for active electronics? What is the wiring on those? It seems pretty cool to me because I was always intimidated by the massive amount of hardware on the full active bich, this seems much more manageable [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty easy to navigate: phase switch, dual sound switches for each pickup and an active pre-amp. Of course there's the usual pickup selector, volume, tone and boost combo. The pre-amp is awesome through a clean channel [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Um, I have to say...were you playing a real Stealth?

[/ QUOTE ]
          Yeah, it was the real deal. I'll try and post a picture this weekend. I'm going to be out of town tonight through Saturday, but I should be able to scan one in on Sunday. I think part of the problem was the location of the strap button, which was on the back of the guitar, right behind the end of the fretboard. I think if it had been moved up closer to the top edge of the guitar, it would have balanced better. Where are your strap buttons located?
          What is the blue one? I've never seen that body before.

Comment

Cool. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I'd love to see pictures of it! There were a few custom orders, and I've even seen an '84 with the acoustic "R" logo on it. So yours could be one too. Very cool.

Here you go mate. I think they moved the location slightly on the '04 but that's probably just to off-set the lost mass in the headstock (not as big).

As for the blue one, that's my '75 Seagull. Neal Moser/GMW re-finished it and it has to be seen to be believed. Amazing attention to detail. I'll post a link to the pics soon.

Comment

That's even lower than mine was. It would have balanced even worse if it had the button down where yours is.
              So that is a Seagull. I am familiar with the Seagull name and I thought I knew what one looked like but I would have been wrong.
              Check back here on Sunday/Monday and I'll try to get the pics posted.

Comment

Yep. It's actually a Seagull Jr. - has the rosewood board and no binding.

Wow. Just got word from Neal that the white Stealth is ready. Cool beans. Here's the strap pin location on that one.

Looking forward to the pics. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Julian, you don't have any balancing problems right? I imagine from the shape you would have no problem with a nice thick leather strap.

Comment

I had the same balance problem with a Stealth, and yes it was a real one. It may be based on an Explorer, but just think about all the wood that is being cut away. The Stealth is a small, light guitar. I'm sure moving the strap button would fix the balance problem though. I would love to get another Stealth, but unfortunately they look tiny on me.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

for some reason alot of BCRs with that headstock are neck heavy.

Comment

Is the white Stealth a fairly recent Ebay guitar? I saw one on there a couple of months ago.

Comment

There's been a couple of white Stealths on ebay. But yes, it was there. And no matter what you guys say, I love the balance of my Stealth. I need to check the '04 to see how different the pin positions are.

Comment

And guess what, you're right! On the '04 they moved the strap pin to the top of the horn so it's in a completely different location to the '84s. This allows it to balance better than the older ones. I must be getting senile with old age! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] No actually, I've only just got the blue '84 and I really can't say I've played it enough. So I must now concede that my '04 is much better balanced. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

If I actually saw one of those on ebay I have to say I would definitely be tempted, both by the quality of old BC Rich guitars (that Gunslinger I had was great) and just the overall coolness of them. Plus that preamp sounds pretty badass. I don't see them up on ebay too often (but I forget to check for the old rich's alot). See Ironbirds up all the time though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Its funny because a nice stealth is something I've been looking for (sounds like a perfect project for GMW refinishing), much like a USA Hamer Scarab. All I ever see are import Scarabs. I'm not even sure if they MADE USA ones, I assume they did. Any idea how much those Stealths usually go for when they pop up on ebay? Ballpark range..

Comment

Heh! Ironically enough, there is a USA Scarab on ebay now, if the buyer isn't lying. But its a outside the USA seller, and the guy looks like he put stickers on it. Why do people do that [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] oh...and it has a Kahler. [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] Not a bad price though.

Comment

Working...
                                X