U.S.A. Squires??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S.A. Squires??

The other guitarist in my band has a Fender Squire, says it was made in the 70's?? Anyhow, it does say "made in USA" on the headstock, and he has upgraded it with EMGS. So, is it really a US model? He keeps wanting to trade me that for my Charvel 375DLX...he played it one day at practice, and wants it. Thanks for the info.

Re: U.S.A. Squires??

does it have a big headstock, like a 70's strat or like malmsteen's guitars?
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I've seen one recently on an online guitar dealer and it says this particular one is from 1989.and is selling for around 4 bills.It looks weird to see a squier that says made in usa ,to me anyways.Probabaly good quality though.And it has the regular size headstock,not the big one,this one I was looking at.

Comment

it couldn't have been made in the 70's, as far as i know the squier brand started 81 or 82 and they were made in japan at that time. then for a short time when fender quit using the japan factory for squiers they were building the squiers in the mexico factory 94-95 (i think that's all) then they went to korea for production of the majority of them. i've never seen a USA made squier before...i guess it's possible. so i'm not sure what to tell you about that. what's the serial #? any way you can get some pics?

-Mike
        www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

ok i did a bit more digging for you. it seems at one point the mexico plant that was making squiers for a short time burnt down and squiers were being made in the USA plant for a limited time. the serial #s on them are inconsistent with the rest and to actually date it you'd have to pull the neck and hope for a date in there. i hope this helps a bit.

-Mike
          www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Thanks guys...small headstock, can get the serial # on Friday at practice. Not sure of the year either, but I think he told me 70's or I dreamed it (very possible)but it can't be..must be 80's..will ask Friday. I know I won't trade the Charvel for it..but I am just curious about what it is. It's a very nice player, low action, great tone, comfortable neck. But not quite as comfortable as my Charvel.

Comment

my brother has a squire that was made in the mexico factory. It says fender in the regular logo position, but theres a squire logo on the ball point (?) of the head stock, where usually a custom shop/made in usa decal would go. Its a decent guitar. I steal it and yngwie it up sometimes. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

I used to have a USA Squier. Very Very Very rare guitars. I took mine to a local music store, and a guy at Fender said, that HE has never seen one, but he knows they are real.

Very good build quality, a hell of a lot better than the POS Squiers today.

Comment

even the first Squires built in Japan around 83-84 were very good strats. I think the guy in Iron Maiden used a few of them
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

I had one. Sold it to a friend of mine that still has it. I had heard they were only made for one year or part of one year. Yep - there are definitely some made in USA.

For the money it was great. Not shielded very well I think because it was noisey after a while and I'm sure a lot of corners were cut to make those.

I got mine in 1989.
                    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Yes...I had (for a very brief 4 days) a USA Squire
                      They exist, but very very VERY rare. Maybe 100 of them ever built, if that. And like Deneb said...very good quality!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        even the first Squires built in Japan around 83-84 were very good strats. I think the guy in Iron Maiden used a few of them

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember those--they had the big CBS headstock. To me, they played as good as the USA strats of the same era. And the Squiers were pretty good for some years after that. I had one made around '89-90 that was a killer player with a very nice sound. I eventually sold it only because I'm not into traditional strats anymore.

Comment

On the remote possibility that you may want to look for these guitars on ebay, the spelling is Squier, but you'll want to search on both because it's a common misspelling.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I asked Model6lover the same question when I got the strat from him.

"Its a H\S\S The body is actually off of an American made Squier from the early 90s. The neck is MIM. Apparently the first year or two they made guitars in Mexico, they used whatever left over parts they had from other factories. That guitar was made in 92 and i believe production in Mexico started in 91."

Comment

Here's one the bay right now. This has an "E9" serial which makes it an '89....but Fender numbers didn't jive around this period anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=WDVW&rd=1

Comment

Working...
                              X