Pulled the trigger on a Edwards Sykes LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled the trigger on a Edwards Sykes LP

Ah, I don't know if I overpaid or what... Whatever, I always wanted a chromed out Les Paul Custom and I have been missing my Gibson LP Standard since I sold it a year ago..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

So Alex... Can I join the Edwards club or what? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Pulled the trigger on a Edwards Sykes LP

Looks pretty sweet!

Comment

If you are not a "Made in USA" snob, this guitar is worth every penny of it.

I'm pretty sure you will be very please with the Edwards

my two cents
      Fong

Comment

Awesome catch. You'll definitly enjoy that, though I do suggest a couple of mods!

Now unblock me ya git! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Well... It is getting Schaller straplocks for sure. I might put an EMG 85 in the bridge and get rid of the pickguard, but I am not sure about those...

Comment

Toss the PG, put black hardware on it and eventually replace the plastic inlays with real stuff. = killer LP for very little money. Or at least so I envision it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Toss the PG, put black hardware on it and eventually replace the plastic inlays with real stuff. = killer LP for very little money. Or at least so I envision it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
              Black hardware?!! Are you fucking crazy? I wanted an LP Custom with Chrome Hardware since before I started playing guitar! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Matter of taste, or the lack thereof

in you. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Jet black LP Custom + Nickel Hardware = SEXXXXXXXXXXX

Comment

If you want some great tone with it, put a Jim Wagner Fillmore in the bridge. WCR pickups smoke, and the Fillmore is my favorite bridge. You'll forget all about those EMGs. It's what I have in my LP Custom.

-Mark

Comment

Hey Markus, I will definitely look into WCRs. I heard many good things about them. Do they have a website with soundbits and such?

By the way, seller turned out to be an awesome guy and he is very quick too. The guitar is already shipped out from Tokyo insured! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Here you go!

http://www.crcoils.com/

The clips sound okay, but don't reflect all the awesome sounds that these pickups can get. I initially didn't like the Fillmores due to the clips, but when I got my own and added more gain, they took off. Great classic sounds too. I own Darkbursts too, but like the Fillmores better.

-Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark!

So you said you added you added more gain... What kind of music do you play? I am playing really old-school influenced thrash in E, Eb and rarely D tunings. Would you still recommend getting the Fillmore set? Or their HERC ceramic pickups? Or any others?

Sorry for bothering you with questions but I never had the chance to talk about these in detail with someone who had firsthand experience.

PS: One last question... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Did you jump into the pot-change bandwagon?

Comment

I am definitely a pot-change proponent. I have a 2003 LP Standard as well, and it sounded thin and anemic until I changed the pots to 500K. I used the RS kit. It made a world of difference. I also used the kit on my Gibson V with Duncan 59, and now it sounds great. I wouldn't play a Gibson without one.

I would recommend the Fillmores for the type of music you like. I can also get Sykes tone out of my LP Custom quite easily, especially the "Still of the Night' stuff. I also like Buckcherry and can get those tones too.

You can email Mr. Wagner and he is very happy to respond. He has extra sound clips too. He also hangs out on The Gear Page. There are many people there who use Wagner pickups, and clips as well. Jim Seavall, who builds Scumbag amps, has tons of clips, and he hangs out there as well. It is definitely worth checking out.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/

-Mark

Comment

You have the same model as our fellow Edwards Cult member Model 88. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

That seller is one of the Ebay sellers I check up on every once in a while! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Not sure what kinda 500K pots are in the Edwards guitars though... mine seems to sound heavenly so I went against doing the R&S electronics suite swap. I'll have to check the control cavity sometime...

Great score, congrats! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Great price, even with the $125 shipping from Japan. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Hopefully yours is as killer as mine and Model 88's because I'm not too sure about Edwards consistency, but if they are all like mine, screw Navigator, I'll stick with the less expensive Edwards. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X