Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pulled the trigger on a Edwards Sykes LP

[ QUOTE ]
    Great score, congrats! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Great price, even with the $125 shipping from Japan. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Hopefully yours is as killer as mine and Model 88's because I'm not too sure about Edwards consistency, but if they are all like mine, screw Navigator, I'll stick with the less expensive Edwards. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, I am looking forward to it definitely. If I am satisfied with the quality, I would probably get an Edwards V copy too. I am sure Navigator makes some great quality guitars, but man I really have a hard time justifying paying more than 3k for a single guitar...

I am not sure about the electronics... Sykes model has double Duncan Distortions, I never liked Duncan Distortions... But I will give them a second chance, if I don't like them I will change the electronics and if that doesn't work either I might go for WCRs who knows? 300 dollars for a set of pickups is a good amount of money so I won't shell that out just like that...

Putting an EMG 85 in the bridge is still an option, I loved the way that pickup sounded in my Les Paul Standard. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

And as I already have that pickup, it is also the least expensive option. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Didnt sykes have those "pearly gates" duncans?

I have heard those edwards guitars are killer, i was looking at one on ebay this morning, same model.Arent they made at the gibson plant in japan? Ive heard that before, but i dont know if its true.Cool score!

Comment

Aren't Edwards lawsuit ESP copies? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think Gibson wouldn't be too keen on letting them be made in their factory! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Gibson has their own Japanese made "clones" that go by the brandnames Orville and Orville By Gibson. I'm not even sure these two are meant for export to the non-Japanese market either.

Comment

Nice guitar Veli. I don't think you overpaid and what the hell? You only live once, right? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] May as well be happy. I have one real Gibson LP Custom and one old Samick copy. I enjoy the copy as much as the real thing.

Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Dude, that needs a set of EMG 25th anniversary chrome 81s! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] They may be hard to find and are a little expensive, but they look great. I got a set for my old Hamer Special a few years back, then ripped them out when I sold it to Travis. The one is now in the neck on my LP with an 85 in the bridge, but I may eventually pair them up again.

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I know those, they look great but I am not a big fan of the 81 sound. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Thanks for the good vibes guys, I appreciate it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

badseed: As far as I checked from ESP Japan website, JS version comes with SH-6b and SH-6n. That is Distortion, right? At least that's what it says on the Duncan website?!!

As Scott said what the hell? I always wanted a nickel/chromed-out Les Paul Custom and wanted to buy the Gibson '68 LP RI... But I really don't think I would be able to put down 3k for a single guitar as I said before... If I do one day, I will buy a White/Gold hardware Custom to go with it Scott. Just like your pair!

As I said I will give the electronics a fair chance before I change anything out... I tried Distortions before, did not like them. But I didn't try them in an LP. Les Paul is an entirely different beast compared to all other guitars for me...

Hey, I am pretty broke right now(especially after this purchase [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]), might as well take things easy with the electronics. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Congrats [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] !! You will not be disappointed IMO.I to wanted a black LP Custom but this is a damn good subsuite.The neck feels great it not fat by any means. I think it close to the 60s slim taper more than medium chunky as he describes it.The distortions do not sound bad in this guitar.
                  Mike
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    The neck feels great it not fat by any means. I think it close to the 60s slim taper more than medium chunky as he describes it.

[/ QUOTE ]
                    To be honest, I don't mind any neck-profile. It just takes me a little time to get used to it. I suck equally on all! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

what are the inlays like on these? anyone who owns one want to chime in? i've got a black custom with emg's and no pickguard on the way, and that was the one thing i was wondering about.

Comment

Pearloid/plastic on most, if not all, of the ones I've seen so far. Here are some inlay shots:

Yes, one of my inlays is slightly crooked... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Those inlays look fine.

I seriosly want one of these. Anyone want to trade me 1 Ed and a Greco/Burny for one Beat to shit Gibson LPC [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

nice pics. does yours have the nitro finish? i like the "aged" binding on those models.

Comment

Mike, have you seen that list of Japanese lawsuit guitar sellers on Ebay that I usually provide JCFers with?

Occasionally, one located in the USA goes up for sale on Ebay, thus eliminating the expensive $120+ shipping charge from Japan as well as duties and customs fees. But I've only seen two up for sale so far... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And no Canadian-originated sellers yet! The vast majority are the Japanese exporters "smuggling" these guitars out of Japan for the rest of the world to enjoy. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Yup, nitro lacquer, multi-ply aged binding, Duncan JB and Duncan '59, long neck tenon, 12" fretboard radius, maple/mahogany body, mahogany neck, real ebony board, cheesy inlays... what's not to love? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, the inlays are fine. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hey Model88, how much did you have to pay for customs and duty? I TOTALLY forgot about that?!! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X