Pulled the trigger on a Edwards Sykes LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pulled the trigger on a Edwards Sykes LP

Oh, also I have a couple of surprises and small mods done to it in a matter of some weeks. I want to take the photos in all its glory and write a review that involves a comparison of the stock and modded guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Remember, if you're going to do a photo-heavy topic, turn off that camera flash! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Now I'm friggin' intrigued. Floyd installation? Third (middle) humbucker? Jimmy Page electronics mod? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (Already know about the APCs.) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Remember, if you're going to do a photo-heavy topic, turn off that camera flash! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Now I'm friggin' intrigued. Floyd installation? Third (middle) humbucker? Jimmy Page electronics mod? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (Already know about the APCs.) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
        [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Too right my friend. One of my friends who is a cameraman taught me that trick a while ago and it really helps to take better photos. Although I can't say I take good photos, but not using flash but room or natural light certainly helps a lot.

Mods... Nothing that involves wood, well not to the extent of a route anyways. [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Just so you know, I hate middle pickups... with passion. [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Matter of taste, or the lack thereof

in you. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

then just get a Gibson Gothic LP model

Comment

thanx veliyasin!

i think, i´ll pass on these gutiars.

your short information sounds good, but i´m playing my EVH and JPs musicmans live and they are highqualtity guitars. because of that, i think i should go for the "real deal" LPC.

i allready own 2 epi LPCs and they are o.k. but nowhere near a gibson LPC quality and tone wise.

i made the desicion that i´ll only go for highquality guitars in the future.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              i allready own 2 epi LPCs and they are o.k. but nowhere near a gibson LPC quality and tone wise.

i made the desicion that i´ll only go for highquality guitars in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]
              Tone-wise it is as good as any Gibson LP I have played.

Comment

I pulled out the pups yesterday, the guitar indeed has the long neck-tenon and seems to have a one piece Mahogany back. It is sometimes funny that a Japanese company uses these methods instead of Gibson themselves...(my old 2003 Gibson Les Paul Standard had a 2-piece back and obviously a short tenon)

Comment

I think we have a full-fledged Edwards convert here, labia and genitals! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

You should also have a bookmatched maple top as well. On mine, you can see the bookmatch seam/line down the middle if you look at it carefully under the light. I've also got a satin finish on the body with a gloss finish on the neck, very weird. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Mine is glossy all over, which is another reason I chose it over a VTB because I have that thing against pre-"aged" guitars... I know chrome hardware was another reason that made me buy the Sykes, but I think it lacks that gold-over-black Custom vibe for some reason... I know, I know... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I am just too obsessed with how this guitar looks, but hey for me a gold-over-black LPC is one of the sexiest guitar looks, right up there with clear Korina finish. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I think my next guitar purchase will be ESP/Edwards instead of Jackson. [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

I always prefer gloss black over satin/vintage/matte black, so I was kind of surprised when I got mine. The satin grew on me though. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Welcome to Queer Eye For The Guitar Guy! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Got a next guitar in mind already? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I always prefer gloss black over satin/vintage/matte black, so I was kind of surprised when I got mine. The satin grew on me though. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Welcome to Queer Eye For The Guitar Guy! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Got a next guitar in mind already? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                        Hey, I am coming from the BC Rich School of caring more about the looks than sound so it is only to be expected. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

There are two options either a White LPC to make a pair or an ESP Standard Viper Urban Camo. The latter would be more expensive, but I always wanted an SG(close enough shape-wise, and I like the fact that Vipers are thicker than SGs), I love camo(ESP has best Camo finishes in the whole industry IMHO), Satin finish on the neck(actually all over, but I don't mind it on this guitar because a glossy, flashy Camo finish is just wrong... again IMHO), nicer ebony board etc. I guess those will be worth the upcharge. Also I don't mind having a different shape in my collection. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

i just picked mine up from the post office today, and wow!! im really impressed. this guitar was everything i was hoping it was going to be, and that was actually quite a lot. it was the black/gold custom with emg's that was listed around the same time as yours, Veli. the first thing that struck me was the articulation. the notes just jump off this thing for some reason! is that the case with yours as well? also, no complaints about the ebony on mine. cant find any noticable streaking at all. very nice.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            i just picked mine up from the post office today, and wow!! im really impressed. this guitar was everything i was hoping it was going to be, and that was actually quite a lot. it was the black/gold custom with emg's that was listed around the same time as yours, Veli. the first thing that struck me was the articulation. the notes just jump off this thing for some reason! is that the case with yours as well? also, no complaints about the ebony on mine. cant find any noticable streaking at all. very nice.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Yeah man, tone-wise I can't find anything wrong with it. Really middy, warm, nice harmonics... Everything I would expect from a good LPC. I guess wood-wise it is the luck of the draw but hey I got a 1-piece Mahogany back from that draw I am not complaining! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I have a fix in mind for the ebony anyways.

Comment

My ebony board is incredibly dark and uniform, MUCH more than the ebony boards on my Jackson Soloist and Taylor K14c. I wouldn't be surprised if Edwards dyed their board, but I don't care, it looks fantastic. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Congrats mrsung, post pics when you get a chance!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

What're you gonna do to that poor ebony board, Veli? [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                What're you gonna do to that poor ebony board, Veli? [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                                It IS really poor in appearance! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I guess they forgot to dye mine [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] , because it has nothing on other guitars that I have and had in the past with ebony boards. A good comparison might be the ebony on SLSMGs. It is really similar quality-wise.

What will I do? It involves some ebony dust, epoxy and dye. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X