• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Battle of the V\'s

I'm partial to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Ya'll know I love my string thru RR's. I'll only post one of 'em here.

But I also love my first V. I bought this new back in the day and it is a killer.

Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
        "POOP"

Comment

I have a 2001 Gibson V98 LTD in Natural Burst it is a all Mahogany clone of a 1957 Korina V.I will try to take some pictures and attempt a post. I had a matching 76 Explorer RI that I recently sold to a fellow JCF member.I just could not bond with the Explorer.The V on the other hand is one I will never part with.

Comment

RR first, KV a close 2nd!
            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I really like the Gibson '97... I wish it had a Floyd though. Like they'll ever put those on there.

Comment

I have to go with the original as well, but with a twist: I want a single-hum Gibson V-XPL, the one they made in the early to mid 80's with the Explorer banana headstock...also, I have two 1980 Gibson V's, but they seem to have thinner bodies than the other years (and yes, they do have the serial #'s and Made In USA stamps in the back of the headstock), is this unusual for Gibby V's?

one last thing, my 3rd or 4th electric guitar was an Aria Pro II Flying V (circa 1986/7), and I must say, when installed with a Duncan Distortion, that thing RULED!!! It was stolen, however [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I have to go with the original as well, but with a twist: I want a single-hum Gibson V-XPL, the one they made in the early to mid 80's with the Explorer banana headstock...also, I have two 1980 Gibson V's, but they seem to have thinner bodies than the other years (and yes, they do have the serial #'s and Made In USA stamps in the back of the headstock), is this unusual for Gibby V's?

[/ QUOTE ]
                  dude I hate to tell you this but those V's made from like 1983 - 1989 are known as total dogs. these are the ones with no pickguards and the designs on them, pinstrips, graphics, etc.

there is a Flying V board I visit once in a while and those models are looked at as a time when Gibson went horribly wrong and those guitars are considered the worst V's ever made apparently.
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

first and foremost...original '67 Gibson V's
                    Then not again until '91 reissues up till about '93

I love RR's and KV's as well...but lets not forget where the V shape originated. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      dude I hate to tell you this but those V's made from like 1983 - 1989 are known as total dogs. these are the ones with no pickguards and the designs on them, pinstrips, graphics, etc.

there is a Flying V board I visit once in a while and those models are looked at as a time when Gibson went horribly wrong and those guitars are considered the worst V's ever made apparently.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Gibson quality was definitely iffy during that time period, but they still managed to make some killer guitars. If you are interested in a V from those years, make sure you play it first...there are some great ones but there are alot of lemons as well. I have never owned one but I have played several...they weren't all bad.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you must be talking about the V-XPL...because both of my 1980 thinner-bodied V's have the full pickguard like the '67s do...

Comment

Rhoads and King V's all the way. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

"dude I hate to tell you this but those V's made from like 1983 - 1989 are known as total dogs. these are the ones with no pickguards and the designs on them, pinstrips, graphics, etc."

are you referring to the V2 here? the boomerang pickups?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              "dude I hate to tell you this but those V's made from like 1983 - 1989 are known as total dogs. these are the ones with no pickguards and the designs on them, pinstrips, graphics, etc."

are you referring to the V2 here? the boomerang pickups?

[/ QUOTE ]

can't be too bad, Mike from Destruction has been using his V2 for over 20 years now...
                              but i think he's talking the 80's Gibby V's that were solid bodied without the pickguards and the electronics cavity in back, my buddy (the same one I bought my 1983 Warlock with the Leaming graphic from) had an all black '82 or '83 V fitting that description, and it was abadass guitar, but he traded it in on '73 Les Paul Custom, and the dude who bought the V my buddy traded in died in a car accident the same day he got it out of layaway, had it in the car with him, too, and the guitar ended up being buried with him...

Comment

I really like those old Ibanez Korina lawsuit V's.

Comment

Working...
                                X