Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Battle of the V\'s

[ QUOTE ]
    you must be talking about the V-XPL...because both of my 1980 thinner-bodied V's have the full pickguard like the '67s do...

[/ QUOTE ]
    that's cool, yeah I think if they are 1980 models then they are not the one's I'm talking about. I think these ones I mentioned are also set up with a neck that is on the same plane as the body, whereas all the others are canted, violin style.

I have seen some of these 83 -89 Vs and I think they're ugly. it was sorta like Gibson tried to get "80's cool" all of a sudden and it just didn't fly. we all know how that was really hit and miss as a style, fuuuck.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      are you referring to the V2 here? the boomerang pickups?

[/ QUOTE ]
      LOL - no, I wasn't, but you are right, those are another total mistake by Gibson, a complete marketing flop, they were discontinued not much later, as most people hated that look. plus the pickups are single coils and are really weak compared to normal PAFs or the other p/ups Gibson has used. dustbin of history. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I remember when those V2's first came out.."what the_ ..did Gibson do to the V???" They were kinda cool looking in walnut w/ the gold trim, but you're right, the pups were dogs and they were waaay overpriced. The firebrand stuff was about the same time period also..you could likely find one decent one in about 12 of those. RD's as well..those were cool guitars but rather large.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]
            you must be talking about the V-XPL...because both of my 1980 thinner-bodied V's have the full pickguard like the '67s do...

[/ QUOTE ]
            that's cool, yeah I think if they are 1980 models then they are not the one's I'm talking about. I think these ones I mentioned are also set up with a neck that is on the same plane as the body, whereas all the others are canted, violin style.

I have seen some of these 83 -89 Vs and I think they're ugly. it was sorta like Gibson tried to get "80's cool" all of a sudden and it just didn't fly. we all know how that was really hit and miss as a style, fuuuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

find a pic of one you are talking about...I actually like the V-XPL's, If I could afford a Gibson custom shop, I'd get one with a reverse XPL headstock, 24 frets, a single humbucker with only a volume knob, I like the traditional V look with a twist...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              find a pic of one you are talking about...I actually like the V-XPL's, If I could afford a Gibson custom shop, I'd get one with a reverse XPL headstock, 24 frets, a single humbucker with only a volume knob, I like the traditional V look with a twist...

[/ QUOTE ]
              this is what I'm referring to. there are other designs too. just...bad.

Comment

another example. they have like no resale value.

Comment

yet another. easy to find on ebay.

Comment

The Yellow one with the split diamond inlays is a V-90, not the XPL. The XPL was a V-body with an Explorer neck/headstock.

The other two are from the 83-85 Designer Series, and are not bad guitars. Most had Alder bodies and maple necks. IMO they should have a non-pickguarded V in their lineup. They should also have a 24 fret Floyded model with no pickguard.
                    The only Gibson V with a pickguard that looks good (aside from the red or black KK-style) is the Schenker, but it has to have the block inlays, not that stupid dot inlaid model they put out (that didn't even have the pickguard).
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

man, i really like THOSE Gibby V's!!!! That must have been when they were also making 24-fret SG-X's and SG-Z's, i really dig some of the models from Gibson's "experimental" years...but that's just me...

Comment

not so much experimental, it was a time when they were trying to play keep up with Jackson/Charvel/Kramer/etc, with the floyds. Gibsons just aren't made for that style of design. but that's just my opinion.

Comment

This is the best Vee that I've ever owned!

I had a Gibson V2 for a while. Jeez, what a POS that was! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

man, i really like THOSE Gibby V's!!!! That must have been when they were also making 24-fret SG-X's and SG-Z's, i really dig some of the models from Gibson's "experimental" years...but that's just me...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I believe there are SG's with the split diamond inlays as well that are of the same series. I think these are pretty sweet looking axes. They seem to have only made them for a few years, maybe 3-5-late 80's early 90's. Kinda like baby Deans or to compete with that market. I'd like to try one someday..if they were two hum models I would have a long time ago.

Comment

Time to show off my V, and if you don't like it I'll pee on your halfstack!

When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I believe there are SG's with the split diamond inlays as well that are of the same series. I think these are pretty sweet looking axes. They seem to have only made them for a few years, maybe 3-5-late 80's early 90's. Kinda like baby Deans or to compete with that market. I'd like to try one someday..if they were two hum models I would have a long time ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely, I really like those 24 fret SG-X's and SG-Z's, and this particular Gibby V stirs my interest...i think eventually these may become collectors' item actually because of their quirkiness...

Comment

Working...
                                X