Gibson Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Les Paul

what model is better suited for metal between the classic, studio and standard ?

Re: Gibson Les Paul

[ QUOTE ]
    what model is better suited for metal between the classic, studio and standard ?

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends, you talking taking the guitar without doing a pickup change? If that is what you mean the classic has the 500T which is a great metal pickup. But now if you get a studio it is cheap enough in price that a pickup change would be in your leauge. Personaly i would go between the classic and the studio, just depends on if you want to do a pickup change and care if the guitar has binding or not.

PS downside of the classic is the green inlays, unless you prefer them green over pearl white.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of changing parts of a classic guitar like a Les Paul, maybe I'm wrong but emg pups on a Gibson don't look good ... unless the original pups suck and that would surprise me. Do you know if it has a low or high axis ?

Comment

I've personally never owned a LP, and I live about 2 miles from the man himself. Maybe I should hang out at the end of his driveway and ask him for a donation [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I'm not a big fan of changing parts of a classic guitar like a Les Paul, maybe I'm wrong but emg pups on a Gibson don't look good ... unless the original pups suck and that would surprise me. Do you know if it has a low or high axis ?

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by high or low axis. The pickups on any gibson are good, but depending on what style of music you are playing will depend on if you like them or not. The classis has the 500T pickup which is there hot ceramic pickup, the standards have the burst buckers which are more suitible for rock and a little hard rock. The studio's have the 498T's which are also a pretty good hard rock pickup, but the 500T's are the hottest.

Comment

I wanted to know whether strings were high or low

Comment

String height and guage can be set up as your choice. Any competant guitar tech can set up a Gibson LP to play just how you want it. Shit, I am incompetant and set up my own LP's to play sweet. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

cool, someone told me that his was too high and when he brought it to some tech the guy said not to touch it

I'll play metal with my band and jazz in my free time with it, that's why I'd like to keep the original pickups so that I could get a greater musical range

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  cool, someone told me that his was too high and when he brought it to some tech the guy said not to touch it

[/ QUOTE ]

Then the tech needs to be avoided. When you bring something to someone to adjust, their personal views are irrelevant. This is why I took the time to learn how to do it myself.

As for using a Les Paul for "Metal", I'm assuming you mean the current range of Hardcore/Death/Grunt&Screech/Growl Metal, not Heavy (true) Metal? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                  If so, you can use any decent pickup, as long as you have an amp that is tonally suited to that style.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

heavy metal like Metallica, Randy Rhoads, Iced Earth with a touch of Deicide in all this

Comment

and people always say that it's a really heavy guitar. Is that kind of myth like you can't play a Rhoads sat down ?

Comment

Its semi true, they are heavier than average guitars. I like mine that way though, you get your moneys worth [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Its semi true, they are heavier than average guitars. I like mine that way though, you get your moneys worth [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

sometimes I get the impression that they are back breakers or that kind of shit from what people say

also, if I want to keep a Les Paul ... or any other guitar ... in good shape what should I do. Like is there stuff that I should put on the frets or whatever to keep it as nice as possible

Comment

Les Paul Action height is set by turning two thumbwheels under the bridge - it couldn't be dumber than that (unless the nut is too high or you have a ton of relief, but any guitar could have those symptoms).

Of you choices, the Classic would be the best for Metal with the stock pickups. It also has the thinnest neck, good for shredding.

Is there a reason you didn't mention the Custom? Because when you think of heavy metal and a Les Paul, I always think of a black or white Les Paul Custom.

Les Pauls weigh between 8 and 10 pounds on average. I can't say if that is heavy or not to you. Randy played a white '74 Custom and it wasn't too heavy for him.

I have three LP's - a 1996 Classic Premium Plus, a 2002 Standard, and a 2004 Historic 1960 (R0). All three I made sure have thin necks. I think that is something you should consider a high priority. Can you live with a baseball bat for a neck? I can't.

Of my three, my Historic has the weakest pickups but I like it the best for Metal like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, old school stuff with a Marshall.

For Metallica, I prefer a JB pickup or EMG's (or even my 1963 SG Special with P90's - just need a strong clean attack), for Randy, a Duncan Distortion.

If you hang out on the Les Paul forums, they will convince you if you don't get a historic, you are waisting your money. I have to say my Historic is my favorite as well, but my other two were my favorite until I got my historic.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              and people always say that it's a really heavy guitar. Is that kind of myth like you can't play a Rhoads sat down ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you have good upper-body strength, it gets heavy after a while. After 3 hours on your shoulder, it'll feel like a Buick [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If you can't play a Rhoads sitting down, lose some weight because either your gut or your thighs are in the way [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X