Gibson Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gibson Les Paul

the customs are out of my price range, that's why I didn't mention them. I'd love to have one but I don't think I can afford one

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      and people always say that it's a really heavy guitar. Is that kind of myth like you can't play a Rhoads sat down ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you have good upper-body strength, it gets heavy after a while. After 3 hours on your shoulder, it'll feel like a Buick [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If you can't play a Rhoads sitting down, lose some weight because either your gut or your thighs are in the way [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a rhoads and it's great even when sitting down, it's just that before I got it everybody told me that I wouldn't be able to play sit down with it. Now I'm hearing the same thing about the LP so I thought I should ask a couple people before

Comment

Heritage. Twice the guitar for less money. As a friend of mine would say, "I Shit You Not".

I've had dozens of Les Pauls over the years. This Heritage I just got, the one with the ugly headstock repair that I almost stupidly flipped, is the only guitar I've played all week long. I'm totally taken with it. It flat smokes every Gibson I've owned (and granted, all my Gibbys came in around $1200 used, so we can eliminate Historics and Custom Shops from my comparison. Then again, this was about one-third of that.)

Furthermore, I just returned from a store with four Heritage 150's and one 157 in stock, and they all smoked the two Gibson Les Paul Standards they had (including a sweet all gold one...nice looking!), so mine is no fluke. The Hamer Studio Sunburst they had ran tight with the Heritages, too, but it was a lot more money.

If your guitar has to say Gibson on the headstock, that's cool. I understand totally. But if you can look "outside the box" a little, I really, strongly recommend you give Heritage guitars a shot.

Comment

I know. I hear that all the time from people - "Yeah they're great but you can't play them sitting down" [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Then you see them trying to play one like a Strat or LP, or they've got the short wing under their upper thigh sitting back in the chair instead of closer to the knee and sitting in Classical Position (edge of the chair leaning forward, not like you're watching The Game)
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

and is the gothic any good ?

Comment

It's a USA Gibson with a crappy paintjob, but still a USA Gibson [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

and can you remove the pickguard withought trashing the whole body on a Classic ?

Comment

Gothics are discontinued, so you would be looking used.

A guy on the LP forum picked up a '77 black LP custom for $1000 with case. What is your budget??? That's less than a Classic or a Standard. Granted, he got it cheap, but I see them around $1500 on the bay.

Customs aren't looking on as highly in the LP world that loves flame tops or "historically correct" LP's from 1958 - 1960 (the original burst years). Anything that doesn't look like a burst from these years won't cost as much. The "heavy years (1970's)" are probably the best heavy metal LP's, but they weight a lot. But that extra weight gives them the killer sound and sustain - can't have you cake and eat it too.

Comment

somewhere between 1000 or 1500 ... I thought the Customs were more expensive than that, I checked quickly on ebay and most of them were over 1500

Comment

They can push $2K, but just hunt the deal down - you'll find it.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=98128

Comment

other than ebay the LP forum that I just visited do you know of any good websites where I could get one ?

other than HC also ...

and by the way, are the Les Pauls still at the top of what's done in the guitar industry ? I haven't played many sorts of wood and that kind of stuff, so I can't really judge by myself what's best

Comment

Gothics are LP Studios with ebony boards, special inlays and flat black finishes.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I'm not a big fan of changing parts of a classic guitar like a Les Paul, maybe I'm wrong but emg pups on a Gibson don't look good ... unless the original pups suck and that would surprise me. Do you know if it has a low or high axis ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised Sam hasn't chimed in on this topic yet. I love the EMGs in my Gibson- look great and sound even better (in my opinion):

I still have the original pickups, though, in case I ever rethink my swap (which is highly unlikely). I tried a Duncan Custom in the bridge as well, but still love the EMGs.

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

EMG's make sense in an LP. They cut better against the fat sounding LP.

LP Forum is the main site I hit for LP info. All you need is in there.

Two of my three LP's came from the bay, as well as one of my three SG's. The others came from the evil empire (Guitar Center).

Comment

but EMGs don't end up making all guitars sound the same ?

Comment

Working...
                                X