• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gibson Les Paul

I bought mine new in December, 1981.

Comment

Sometimes a good price one pops up on ebay.

I was really mad, one time a Wine Red LP from the 70's, I believe had a BUY now of 800 dollars. I hesitated with it, and Bam, someone bought it. You gotta react fast when that deal of the year comes around.

Comment

what are the stock pickups on a Custom ? I see that Jon Shaffer from Iced Earth uses stock pickups, so they must be good for metal

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          but EMGs don't end up making all guitars sound the same ?

[/ QUOTE ]
          No, they don't all sound the same. Here's my '04 Studio (Musician's Fiend exclusive "Vintage Mahogany"). The carved top is even mahogany, with a matte satin nitro finish, pups replaced with EMG 85 in the bridge, 25th anniversary chrome 81 in the neck, TP-6 fine-tuning tailpiece instead of the regular stoptail. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Re: Gibson Les Paul Standard Raw Power!!

Man, this is really making me jones for a LP standard Raw Power!! It`s the $1899 for one that makes me nervous [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I like the Standard raw power, because it has the regular colored inlays, 50`s neck, eMG`s as stock and Grover tuners, can`t stand the keystone type and the finish is satin natural .I am really dying for one, but the price/QC scares me a little, I nead to find a new one and play it!! So far, I have only seen them at MF and AMS. Does anyone else carry these that is very fair on price and reputable? Thanks-Jack.

Comment

[quote
              I'm surprised Sam hasn't chimed in on this topic yet. I love the EMGs in my Gibson- look great and sound even better (in my opinion):

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="yellow">Hey...how'd I get dragged into this foray [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I have the EMG 81/85 in my LPC.....it's cool, but honestly, I'm seriously thinking of pulling them out and putting in a Duncan Custom in the bridge and a 59N in the neck position along with the correct electronics.

I don't know if I'm getting older, changing playing style, or just hearing things differently, but the EMG's are not hitting it for me.

Nothing wrong with EMG's, not saying that at all, just think it's a personal preference. </font>

Comment

Man, I tell you what. I just picked up a new Custom 2 days ago. I have alot of guitars, including 2 othee Pauls,but there is something magical about Customs. Could be the Ebony fretboard, not sure, but it just sings like a motherf*cker. Wouldnt change a thing on it either. Its pefect just as it is. I owned one a while back, when I first started playing, but didnt appreciate it as much as I do now, fast forward 5 years. The sound is enormous and thick. Honestly, sometimes, and its happening more and more, I wonder, why own anything other than a Fender Strat, Tele, and a Gibson Les Paul?

Shawn
                Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I picked up a Les Paul the other day, and I find it harder to play than my RR1 it sits too far to my right for comfort, but is not terrible, strats are just perfect to me.

I think the RR myth of 'hard to play sitting down' comes from the models that haf the input jack on the lower wing (professional and concept bolt ons).

I have a 92 studio, and the stock pickup is a little light to me (498?)of course I just got turned on to the J90C and Gibson 500T [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] .

This bastard is heavy compared to my explorer for some reason too.
                  When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Agreed on that last part, Shawn. I've thought several times about rebuilding my Gibson collection (Had an SG and V and the Bullseye Explorer all at once), and picking up a Strat. I love my Jacksons, though.
                    Maybe if I load them up with Gibson pickups? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Not to go too far off topic, but has anyone else noticed that aftermarket pickups (Duncan, DiMarzio, EMG, whatever) just don't "work" in Gibsons and Fenders as well as the originals?
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

here is mine LP. Newc posted a old one of it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Fuckin A Mike. That is cool. I love playing this custom. Its like driving a brand new Caddilac......

Shawn
                        Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Fuckin A Mike. That is cool. I love playing this custom. Its like driving a brand new Caddilac......

Shawn

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is. Mines like a Rusted everything is breaking but still plays fine caddy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I need to fix the Switch, wood inside of it broke so the switch bounces around. It needs a new nut, and the Tom is really worn.

I might chance everything over to silver, not sure yet..

Comment

I have 2 LP Standards with the original Burstbucker pickups and I think they sound awesome for metal. I prefer them to my RR1 with Duncans. I also love the sound of a LP with EMG's in it.

Comment

Working...
                            X