my new V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my new V

I just grabbed this off ebay, first day it was up. the BIN was just too good, especially with the Seymour Duncan he put in the bridge position, and I have wanted a V for a while now and this one fit the bill.

damn I can't wait to get my hands on this guitar! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Re: my new V

Fuckin' V! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Now thats what Im talking about.

Comment

it has a Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck humbucker at the bridge position. seller is including the original 500T pickup in the package. how does the Jeff Beck pickup sound? anyone ever play that one?

Comment

The JB is not my favorite pickup, but a lot of people really do like them. I find it to be a little bright due to all the upper mids. The harmonics are good, however, and the bass stays tight. I find it to be a little shrill in the upper register, too much for leads. But, in a mahogany V, it might be the ticket for you. If it does turn out to be a little on the bright side when you get it, try a 250k pot for it. It was originally designed to work best with the lower value pots.

Comment

thanks man. I will check it out. I actually have never played a pickup I didn't like, so I guess I'm not that discriminating. I figured how bad can it sound, you know? not a lot of these white V's come available, especially in as good of condition, and for the right price that this one was, with a SD already in it. I've never bought a guitar without playing it before, but this one was too good to pass up.

Comment

I have JBs in one of my KV4s, and although I haven't played it much yet, I really like the sound of it. The seller said in the Ebay auction that is had SD Customs, but I guess he never checked the codes on the back of the pickups. They really don't sound that different to Customs, but not as bright.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Congrats! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I love the Gibson V's. I love the JB pickup, although I admit, my 81 Gibby V has an old Super Distortion in it. Sounds like a home run to me.
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Got a JB in my LP Studio. Nice pickup in a mahogany-guitar.

Comment

cool & a JB is weird. in some guitars i think they sound awesome in others like shit.

Comment

yeah I'm fuggin stoked! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm having the seller ship it 2-day express to minimize the time that the shipping gorillas have their paws on it.

Comment

Congrats. Nice guitar. White is definitely my favorite color for Gibson Vs.

Comment

Awesome guitar. Had one just like it a while back and I always wished that I wouls have kept it.

I like the JB for the most part, but they can sound very different in different guitars. To generalize, I think they have a somewhat ratty, rough sounding high end; not smooth at all. This can be cool in alot of situations and it can make for a nice contrast with a smoother sounding axe in a two guitar set-up whether it be live or recording. JCF member Kenn and I did a "guerilla recording session" last summer taking turns using the same sans-amp to an ADAT. He played his GMW bluburst Jake copy with a JB and I used a parts mutt strat with an Anderson H2+ (my favorite pickup). The contrast of those two tones was very cool, with Kenn's tone being more raw and obnoxius and mine being a bit more smooth and singing. Recording various pickups using like amp settings is a great way to really hear the subtle differences between pickups and guitars.

Comment

the Flying V has landed (on my doorstep)!

this thing is so killer, the neck is perfect and the fretboard is made of the darkest and densest rosewood I've ever seen. the fretwork is flawless, it fucking rocks. and the JB sounds really nice in all that mahogany. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              the fretboard is made of the darkest and densest rosewood I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

We call that Ebony around these parts bro! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The white finished Vs in that series have Ebony boards, unlike the other finishes which have Rosewood.

BEAUTIFUL GUITAR! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X