Poll: Warmoth fretwork, good or bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Warmoth fretwork, good or bad?

I've only ever done business once with Warmoth, so this poll will help me gather some extra info.

I've read here lately that not all Warmoth's necks come shipped with top-notch fretwork. My brother's bass neck had perfect smooth rounded frets so it was quite surprising to me when I read this was not the case on all Warmoth necks.

If you had to do extra work, could you explain what sorts of work had to be done to make your guitar/bass playable and comfortable?
    Frets were nice out of the box.
    0%
    Frets needed some extra work (explain in your reply).
    0%

Re: Poll: Warmoth fretwork, good or bad?

I had to do a complete Fret job on my tele neck there were frets there but thats about it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That being said once I finished I loved the neck.

Comment

I have to say that I needed to polish the frets on both necks I bought (both SS), but other than that, they were pretty rock solid. The don't claim to be ready out of the box. they say someplace on their site that some additional fret work may be necessary. I had a flame maple/ebony board Jackson style headstock neck that was awesome. It had crazy flames. There is just something that isn't right about their interpertation of the Jackson headstock. I can't put my figer on it but, it just ain't right!
      "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

The one's I've had have been good but on one I had the frets done anyway cause I wanted super low action on that one. Warmoth will even tell you if you want it real low you may have to get em done.
        http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

I've had 12 of them in various types of fret wire, back shapes and woods. I just bolted them on and setup the guitar. No problems here.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

i have had a couple and both times i had lee at gmw dress them, a little rough on the edges but after that they are good to go........

jon

Comment

they don't do fretwork, period. they do have a good system of seating and glueing the frets, but that's where their fretwork stops. in some cases, you can get a neck from them and be able to string it up and go, but of the 5 necks that i've bought from them, i had to level, crown, file the sharp edges, and in one case, fix some ebony cracks on 4 of them.

here's something to consider though, most off the rack guitars don't have the frets done at the factory. we know that jackson does the frets on the us and at least the japanese models, but most maufacturers don't do this. so many of us are used to playing guitars that aren't dialed in as best as they could be. i think that if you have the frets done on a warmoth/replacement neck, you'll make a nice playing experience even nicer.

a very reputable luthier once told me that finding a replacement neck that didn't need to have the frets leveled to some degree is about as rare as finding pictures of mother theresa masturbating.

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                they don't do fretwork, period. they do have a good system of seating and glueing the frets, but that's where their fretwork stops. in some cases, you can get a neck from them and be able to string it up and go, but of the 5 necks that i've bought from them, i had to level, crown, file the sharp edges, and in one case, fix some ebony cracks on 4 of them.

here's something to consider though, most off the rack guitars don't have the frets done at the factory. we know that jackson does the frets on the us and at least the japanese models, but most maufacturers don't do this. so many of us are used to playing guitars that aren't dialed in as best as they could be. i think that if you have the frets done on a warmoth/replacement neck, you'll make a nice playing experience even nicer.

a very reputable luthier once told me that finding a replacement neck that didn't need to have the frets leveled to some degree is about as rare as finding pictures of mother theresa masturbating.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

Sully, I hope that luthier to never goes out in a lightning storm!! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

is that an angry, vengeful god or tinfoil hat reference?
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I think the Warmoth I have the one that I got from Doc had to have some minor fretwork done just to get it to the way he wanted it. From what I hear most though, these necks are to the average person very much playable from the getgo, but alot of us on this forum are very particular and demand the best, so I think we may have some slightly unrealistic expectations. Sully is right, on their site they are upfront about saying they do not do any actual "fretwork" they just seat them. They do not as they say, do any crowning/leveling etc.

I took it as an angry vengeful god reference..

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      is that an angry, vengeful god or tinfoil hat reference?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both, I think...
                      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

So, if you buy a Warmoth neck, what should it cost for a fret dress (assuming nothing major has to be done)?

Comment

about $60-$75.

i can assure you though, that i've never seen mike wear a tinfoil hat. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Had to level the frets and recrown them once the neck was attached to the body and set-up, no biggie really as I have had to do this on a PRS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so a Warmoth wasn't really earthshattering. To be honest USACG make the best necks anywhere. Kammo1

Comment

Heard nothing but good things about USACG but Warmoth does have more options. Depends what you are looking for I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X