USA Custom Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Custom Guitars

Has anyone had any experience with this company? Ever purchased a body or neck from them? Opinions?

-Mark

Re: USA Custom Guitars

supposedly top notch work, and i've spoken with tommy a few times, and he's a really nice guy. i think the reasons why i've not purchased necks from him yet is b/c they don't use dual action truss rods, and i'm not a fan of the strat styled headstock that they offer. i know that you can shape it into a closer version of a strathead, but i'd rather not deal with it.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      supposedly top notch work, and i've spoken with tommy a few times, and he's a really nice guy. i think the reasons why i've not purchased necks from him yet is b/c they don't use dual action truss rods, and i'm not a fan of the strat styled headstock that they offer. i know that you can shape it into a closer version of a strathead, but i'd rather not deal with it.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 Here. I like the Warmoth "Pro" dual truss rods with the new Gotoh side heel adjustment. Really convienent and easy to adjust your neck. I would actually like to order from USA, but for the reasons stated above, I don't see anything right now.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I bought one of their dual-hum Charvel strat copy bodies off of eBay. It is really nice. If I get my necks back before the weekend I'll slap it together and take a picture of it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

USA Custom guitars is miles above Warmoth. I have had a few Warmoths and they were fine, but nothing special. I had Bill Nash build me an E-type using a USA Custom 'Texas Blues Brother' neck. It is the finest neck that I have ever played and I have owned about 60 guitars that have come and gone. It feels like a vintage F*nder neck. The guitar can be seen here on the top left in shell pink:
          http://www.nashguitars.com/gallery/e_series.html

I don't know who did it, but the headstock was perfect for a 65-66.

Comment

I've got a bunch of USACG stuff as well as Warmoth. The USACG stuff is just better crafted IMO. The main guys at USACG came from Warmoth and the Fender Custom Shop. Tommy @ USACG is the nicest person I've ever dealt with in the musical instrument business on any level. No shit.

As for those Gotoh side adjusters Warmoth uses, they suck ass. They are fragile and FUGLY. Give me a top adjust any day.

And Sully, you're a lazy bastard - it takes about 15 minutes to sand the nub off a USACG headstock [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] BTW, once you do, you will have a headstock that is closer to the "spec" than what you get from Warmoth.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

USA Custom makes warmoth look and feel like a cort compares to a USA Jackson. I have bought dozens of necks and bodys and they are all great. The people that bought the guitars from Me that they built absolutely love them and as far as I know still remain with thier original owners. Tommy(usa custom owner) used to work for warmoth and wanted to make things better and started USA .I have talked for hours and hours with Tommy about everything from guitars to the weather to His blatant lack of time off and He is one of My favorite people I've met in the guitar business.I've sent many friends to Him and He's always treated them perfect. Enough said. If You want the best buy from USA Custom or you can get decent stuff from warmoth and maybe save a couple dollars. Honestly if You call Tommy tell Him John Magee sent You and tell Him what You want. He'll make it special,He always does!
              Custom Shop-There is no substitute!

Comment

The real reason I never really looked twice at these guys is because they simply don't have as many options as warmoth. The prices for USA didn't strike me as bad but I dunno. The one thing I did like is they say you can send them body wood and they will make it the way you want. Doesn't appear they do that with necks (although maybe they do). Actually it seems they do. If I can find some good prices on blanks I'd definitely do it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Has anyone had any experience with this company? Ever purchased a body or neck from them? Opinions?

-Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Several...Tommy R. kicks major ass and is one of the nicest guys out there. The parts are all top notch - no issues whatsoever....

I did this one two years ago, Tommy used it on his website for awhile as a 51 STP example, it's still in his gallery....Trans butterscotch shot by Roxy, I did everything else....

Killer guitar...I actually sold the neck on evilbay, non other than Mike Varney of Shrapnel Records won it, and he loves it. I'm putting a solid maple version on it with a flatter fretboard. Rio Grande electronics in the body w' Callaham hardware & Sperzels..

Steve E

Comment

I bought 2 usa custom bodies which I really liked
                    1 piece alder
                    http://www.pixum.nl/members/freddons/?ac...c25f8b89781630d
                    and an alder quilt top
                    http://www.pixum.nl/members/freddons/?ac...5f091811d260f3f
                    I'm actually not that fond of their necks, they do have great fret work but for some reason or another they feel less solid than warmoth (could be the weight of the dual trussrod though but I'm a fan of big heavy necks and the necks I got from them felt thin and light)

Comment

I love that color fred! (on the second) it reminds me of a more green tinted chlorine. Nice looking axe.

Comment

Ohhhh, you have just reignited my STP-51 gas! A Kramer Elliot Easton pro II would do though!

Comment

Working...
                        X