Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with experience buying from JC Guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with experience buying from JC Guitars?

He has a couple of cool guitars, but the prices are too high. Does anyone have any experience buying guitars from him? Is he firm with the prices posted on his website or is there room for negotiation?

Re: Anyone with experience buying from JC Guitars?

General rule with this guy (as I heard) is: his sale prices are higher than most, but he'll make you KILLER trade deals.

Trade > buy in this case.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Justin Coffman has been doing straight up deals for longer than most members have been on this board.
      His reputation is above reproach.

Call him. He's a wikkid nice guy!

Comment

Thanks Chuck. I'm in a little bit of a dilemma here. Justin has a guitar that I've had my eyes on now for at least 5 years. I would love to get the guitar, but have pretty much nothing to offer in trade. The only thing I own now that I can trade is my Fender Hot Rod Reissue and a POD XT live that is fairly new. I actually offered him the two items for the guitar I want, which he has marked for $1100. Some time ago I consulted with some board members about the value of this guitar, and the consensus was that the value of the guitar was in the 600-700 ballpark. Ihaven't heard from him yet about my offer, but even if he accepts I feel I would be giving him more than what I feel the value of the guitar he has have. Anyway, I just wish I could buy the guitar at a reasonable price. After all, it is a guitar that for some reason he hasn't been able to move in years.

Comment

<font color="orange"> I've bought from Justin several times,he's cool,he'll always work with you on $$!!

His website hasn't been updated in awhile,call him to be sure he still has the guitar!! </font>

Comment

I started to exchange mail last week and sent him pics of my guitar and some info he requested on it. Then, for some reason I haven't heard from him. I emailed him yesterday and today. I'll wait for his response.

Comment

I think Justin posts higher prices to leave haggle room. He's always worked with me on price, he gives EXCELLENT values on trades (impossible to overstate this fact), and he even offers six month layaways. He's definately a great guy to do business with, and I would almost score a great deal on an E-bay auction just to have something to trade.

Comment

Well...If you've already offered both the guitar and the POD, you've probably already screwed yourself.

Call him and tell him your concerns. I can't stress enough...Justin is a hell of a nice guy.

Comment

Ask specifically and carefully about the condition of the item you're interested in. I indicated to Justin that I was interested in a trade only if the guitar coming my way was in "excellent" condition, Justin proceeded haggle on and complete the trade and I received a guitar in far less than "excellent" condition. He mentioned the broken latches and scuffed tolex on the case but neglected to mention any of the issues with the guitar (dozens of fretboard cracks, rusty frets, dozens of indentations in the finish, broken plastic output jack plate, etc).

I didn't complain when it arrived because the odds of finding an identical piece in any condition were essentially nil so I didn't give Justin a chance to rectify the situation. Based on the sheer volume of folks who've dealt with him successfully I don't believe he's dishonest; probably more like overworked, exhausted, and not able to handle the volume of deals he's working.
                  Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

The reason I'm interested in that particular guitar is because of of the neck profile. I already spoke with Lee Garver and he will refinish the guitar. If I don't hear from Justin tomorrow, then I'll give him a call.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      General rule with this guy (as I heard) is: his sale prices are higher than most, but he'll make you KILLER trade deals.

Trade > buy in this case.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      This was my experience exactly
                      http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

Justin is one hell of a guy to deal with. I've been dealing with him since I first found this forum in 2001. Great guy indeed.

Comment

I'm not terribly worried about the condition of the guitar per say since as someone mentioned Lee does FANTASTIC refinishing work. However being a trade newbie I have to say it does make me very nervous but alot of people here have vouched for him so I contacted Justin about a possible trade myself, I'll keep you guys posted on how that develops.

Comment

I did a trade with hime a few years ago and it was perfect....
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Justin is great and he is very honest too!
                              Monte

Comment

Working...
                              X