No announcement yet.

Wolfies and EBMM......Purple haze......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wolfies and EBMM......Purple haze......

I have had one for a while now, and I think it's a great guitar,
    I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Yeah, they're excellent - I've got a GMW re-top Wolfgang (was purple stoptail, now a blue quilt with licensed Floyd) - looks fantastic, sounds fantastic. Also got an EBMM EVH - 2nd hand from e-bay with a few dings, but shedloads of mojo & plays really well. The EVH & Wolfie are my favourite guitars. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      Wal - Good from far, but far from good

Comment

I just picked up a black patent pending wolfgang standard that is in transit.

I've owned several - a red flametop USA special, blue standard stoptail, red flametop standard, and a USA pat pending special that had been refinished - those I traded/sold. I currently have an amber flametop special USA that kills.

Anyways, I'm going to give the ol' pat pending standard in black a whirl, see how I like it. Wolfgangs are imho one of the most comfortable necks in the business - not real flat, but very ergonomic. The entire guitar is light, balanced, kinda on the small side, and they damn near play themselves. I even prefer the Peaveys to the EB/MM Axis guitars.

Pete

Comment

Pete, I would love to see pics of your Amber Special. Also, just to refresh my memory, what is the difference between the patent pending and the later model Wolfgangs? Nothing build-wise, right?

Comment

I love the neck profiles on them. Warmoth does a great job copying it. I have had 3 Wolfgangs and I really did like the necks. I never got into the body style though. I have two strats with Warmoth necks on them thoough which replaced the 3 Peaveys I had.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I just picked up a black patent pending wolfgang standard that is in transit.

I've owned several - a red flametop USA special, blue standard stoptail, red flametop standard, and a USA pat pending special that had been refinished - those I traded/sold. I currently have an amber flametop special USA that kills.

Anyways, I'm going to give the ol' pat pending standard in black a whirl, see how I like it. Wolfgangs are imho one of the most comfortable necks in the business - not real flat, but very ergonomic. The entire guitar is light, balanced, kinda on the small side, and they damn near play themselves. I even prefer the Peaveys to the EB/MM Axis guitars.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Pete, pics of the Amber, and of the Black when it arrives... So much for thinking I was the only one around these parts still really digging Wolfgangs.

Shawn
              Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Hey Shawn, did you get the rosewood Axis? I've been thinking about those a lot lately. Rosewood necks are VERY nice and the Axis I played at NAMM was wonderful.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  It's strange, but I've never liked those guitars. I don't know why, because lots of people whom I respect dig them, but...every one i've played has left me very non-plussed. And I think they're ugly. With a capital "U"!

I know lots of people like them because they are making a profit on the used market with them, though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo! I agree totally. There was a PRS dealer here in Shreveport that carried all models of Wolfies. I tried desperately to attach myself to one, but they just didn't do it for me. My biggest complaint were the birdseye necks. It was as if the factory ran out of funds when it came time to build the necks.

Bottom line: That dealer ended up unloading them to a nothern dealer because they just didn't sell in this area.
                  "POOP"

Comment

I always thought they were great quality, even the cheapest specials were very very well made and put togeather, I love the necks and headstocks on those.

The bodies. . .unfortunately, I could never really adjust to. Its too small and round, feels like Im playing on a tennis racket or a skillet or something.

Comment

I never got into these either. I've played a few and the necks just felt to small to me. I don't like 1 5/8 nut width to begin with, but these necks felt really small in my hands.
                      I did however like the way they sound.
                      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I never got into these either. I've played a few and the necks just felt to small to me. I don't like 1 5/8 nut width to begin with, but these necks felt really small in my hands.
                        I did however like the way they sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I er ya. But I have small hands so the neck feels very nice to me. I guess it's just a matter of physics. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I heard so much good things about them here and on HC, that when I finally got a chance to play one, I was underwhelmed. The speciment I played had a unfinished bird's eye maple neck, and it felt kinda rough under my thumb. I usually tend to like raw unfinished necks too... so don't know why it just felt wrong. The neck profile seemed good though, but couldn't be sure because of the rough feel of the back of the neck. I don't recall having problems with the body shape sitting down though.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Hey Shawn, did you get the rosewood Axis? I've been thinking about those a lot lately. Rosewood necks are VERY nice and the Axis I played at NAMM was wonderful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uggh...Not yet, but it is constantly on my mind. No doubt its coming.

Shawn
                            Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

i've had a couple of eb/mm axis, axis super sports, and wolfgangs.
                              under my inital impression, the peavey didn't seem as nice as the eb/mm's.
                              but after a couple of months, i found myself playing the peavey more.
                              the tone on it is not very versatile, but it does the rock n' roll thing very well.
                              i ended up selling the eb/mm's and going with my current wolfgang archtop std.
                              the neck is great, it is a very light and great stage guitar, plus it's very resonant.
                              it doesn't give you the same tone as a les paul or prs, so you can't comapre it to them.
                              however, it does have a very good unique tone.

Comment

The Wolfgang is a guitar I was never able to get comfortable with. Tried them manymany times and never bonded.
                                Just like some people swear LPs are the shit, there are tastes for everything and everyone.

The farthest I will go from my Strat bodies is PRS. What a boring life I live.
                                Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Working...
                                X