Baritones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baritones

I'm thinkin of getting the LTD MHB-400 BARITONE and I was wondering what are the good sides and the bad sides of gettin a baritone?

Re: Baritones

Ya know I was thinkin the same thing a few weeks ago. First off, I think ESP is behind in production, so the wait on that model is a few months I think. I tune to B standard normally on one guitar and love it, but I've been told the baritones kill the high end, mainly because everything is so low w/ the extended scale and heavy strings. Granted I haven't played one and when I tune to B normally with 10s and once in a blue moon 11's (I prefer the lighter gauge) everything is so low there is no high end like standard tuning, but I get what I want from it. My advice, and the thing I'm gonna end up doing is find one and play it. I might just end up buying a 7 string honestly in a few weeks (Schecter C-7 Hellraiser)

Comment

Thanks for opinoin and nice guitar

Comment

Well, the MHB uses the same pickups as most of thier standard models... EMGs. Therefore, the sound coming from a standard guitar tuned to B shouldn't be much different than a baritone tuned to B since the only real difference would be string thickness, wich I would think would add more crunch because of the higher string tension.

Also, It's perfectly okay to use standard size 10s or 11s on a baritone. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

I played a Schecter Baritone yesterday. Good sides: really heavy tone, easy to play and the high end was still there.

Bad: sweep picking was a bit harder due to the massive strings and to me it's just a one trick pony, i like guitars to do everything that i want it to do besides down tuned metal.
          93 USA Soloist EDS
          USA HT6 Juggernaut
          Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I don't have a problem sweeping, but I think ESP baritones are shorter scale than schecters. Also, the schetcers have Seymour Duncan pickups, wich in my opinion, don't pick up the low tone of a baritone as well as an EMG.

Comment

Baritones aren't really a one-trick pony for downtuned metal...Robert Smith used a Fender one on a lot of the old Cure stuff.

Comment

i had a danelectro baritone with lipstick pickups that i really enjoyed. i sold it b/c i didn't really use it enough. imo, they're better used for clean tones; they add some REALLY cool depth to songs and can make the parts they enhance sound fuckin huge.

i'd never even think about trying to play leads on one unless i was doubling something to fill the sound out.

i think they're a very cool tool to use to layer your sound. pick one up and mess around with one. since they're tuned lower, they can really give some great voicings to stuff. that is, unless your guitars are tuned B to B; if so, you're already playing a baritone! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Baritone Seven strings RULE. You can do anything you can on a normal guitar, much of it even seems easier sometimes. But you can put the bass player out of a job with heavy enough strings if so inclined [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

are baritones hard to play leads on?

Comment

well, the fret spacing is wider (almost like a bass), and the strings are way heavier, so i'd say yeah. i really never considered them lead type instruments, but that's just me, i guess.

sully
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

My brother has a lynch baritone that I play a lot. The neck is very comfortable and the tone is very nice. As far as playing leads on, I guess it depends on your hands and what they are made to do. I have big hands and I squeeze the neck when I play, so the larger neck is pretty nice for leads.

I agree with sully, they really enhance your tunes and let you do many cool things as long as you do not miss the high e.

My question is I am wanting to tune the top 5 strings (high to low) up so the guitar is in drop b instead of b standard. Will this have an adverse effect on the neck as far as tension goes? The only difference i noticed is that the strings appear to be a little more difficult to bend.
                        Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
                        The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

I can't Beeeeeeleeeeeve someone put a Smith/Cure reference on this forum. LOG OUT.

Comment

whatever dude, the cure fucking rules. log yourself out. lemme know if you need help with that.
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

My question is I am wanting to tune the top 5 strings (high to low) up so the guitar is in drop b instead of b standard. Will this have an adverse effect on the neck as far as tension goes? The only difference i noticed is that the strings appear to be a little more difficult to bend.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sure you'd need a truss rod tweak, but that would probably be it.
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X