A REAL original floyd... :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A REAL original floyd... :)

Pics of the guitar with the non fine tuning floyd installed...

Interesting random facts... Once this thing is locked down, it stays in tune really well. It better - no fine tuners!

Also it does the Vai/Gillis warbles like nobody's business. I like it, but some people wouldn't. I think it's because it lacks the fine tuners - not as much mass, and it's more balanced without the fine tuners hanging off the edge.

Bought the trem on ebay, it's a friggin' schaller (west germany) but it seems to be a lot denser metal than newer floyds - the knife edges are spotless, and the entire thing just feels more solid than the OFRs I've had.

All in all - it kicks ass. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Re: A REAL original floyd...

How you like the neck? I had a chance to play one WAYyyayyyyyyyyyyyy back. And what i remember it's not your typical fender or ibanez style profile. IMO, not too skinny not too fat, just nice.

my two cents
    Fong

Comment

guitar plays and sounds great, the neck is huge though. Seems like it's between 1 11/16 and 3/4, and has a really fat profile. That's probably one of the reasons it sounds so good.

pete

Comment

I to like the old non fine tuner floyds.Very stable and smooth JMO.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yeah it's fat but not gibson fat neither is it SRV fat if i recall correctly. But yeah, the guitar really plays well.

Fong

Comment

Those are cool-My buddy has one that floyd made and put on. He has the receipt somewhere.I think it was back in 80 he got it.It was quite a wait cause the pros got theirs then you got yours-anyway cool score.

Comment

Thanks guys. It's pretty interesting, but scary - if it goes out of tune, then I'm screwed until I can undo the locking nut. However, it really holds tune well. I guess the real test will be at the gig saturday.

Pete

Comment

Do non fine tuner Floyds use a vintage type route?

Comment

Nice!! Back in the late '80s I had a Kramer with a non fine-tuning Floyd like that. I kinda wish I still had that guitar.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a non fine tuning Floyd but its the Les Paul studmount type. I think it blows chunks, but I keep hearing alot of praise for these non fine tuning Floyds............

Comment

I had one WAY back in the day...the first system in Upstate NY. Had it mounted on my seventies Fender Strat.

It was a major pain in my ass.

I replaced it with a fine tuner Floyd the second those went on the market.

You must have a good one, Pete!

Comment

Cool. The newer floyds are just not made of the same quality of metal. Its a shame that everything has to be cheapened over time just to keep costs reasonable (I mean who is gonna pay $500 for new floyd?)
                        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I had one WAY back in the day...the first system in Upstate NY. Had it mounted on my seventies Fender Strat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting - would it just go out of tune really badly? I noticed that the string guide/whatever behind the floyd nut is WAY low on this guitar - it keeps a lot of pressure on the nut so when you clamp down it doesn't go sharp. I'm pretty surprised how well it works, but the real test is going to be at a gig.

Pete

Comment

Is the higher-quality metal used in old Floyds really that much more expensive? Or is it the extra wear and tear in machining a more durable metal? Or is it -the cynic in me prefers this one- that it's a good excuse to cut corners and still make money!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting - would it just go out of tune really badly? I noticed that the string guide/whatever behind the floyd nut is WAY low on this guitar - it keeps a lot of pressure on the nut so when you clamp down it doesn't go sharp. I'm pretty surprised how well it works, but the real test is going to be at a gig.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Clamping the strings down was always a game of guessing which strings would go sharp, and which strings would go flat, and by how much so you'd have to tune the guitar accordingly, then lock it down and hope you guessed right. Sometimes a tug would bring a sharp string in.
                              I did everything I could think of to set it up right, and it was including the low retainer bar, but nine times out of ten, it was easier on everybody if I just tuned the guitar, and the rest of the band tuned to me. It was a LOT more screwing around than it was worth. God Bless fine tuners! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X