• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guitar! First 7-string.

So, I walk into Guitar Center today, and whamm-o, I see this puppy:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...20675222IVnfmY
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/...20676899yCRRwJ

I had to have it. It was $249 WITH a case. So, I don't know anything about it now, I'm doing research, but I figure that it is at least a decent deal. It's definitely a 'players' guitar, but that is fine with me, I intend to play it.

What tuning should I put it in? I am in a cover band, so I'm curious, what main stream stuff can I do with this thing. I know the Korn & Limp Bizquick use 7's but are their other groups I should check out (just the main stream radio rock stuff)?

Re: New Guitar! First 7-string.

I don't know the first thing about 7 strings, other than my tiny hands are no match for the super wide neck.

Comment

Looks like an RG7420... good score for $250 with the case!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Mate, the only mainstream stuff you could do would be Bizkit and Korn. If you really want to get it's full potential, play something else with it, maybe a bit of Jazz or some stuff like Marcel Coenen or Richard Tull. Very good guitar players that use the 7 string to it's fullest.
        93 USA Soloist EDS
        USA HT6 Juggernaut
        Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys. Maliciousteve, I was just looking for some examples to impress the non-guitar friends (the easy impressed). I'm sure there are some monster 7 string players out there, I know of a few. I'll check out those you mentioned.

Comment

That's fair enough, but to really blow their minds, check out the two players i mentioned [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            93 USA Soloist EDS
            USA HT6 Juggernaut
            Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Does it say Made In Japan on the headstock? If it does, I think it's either an RG7-420 or RG7-620. Good guitars, especially for the price you paid for it.
              -Janne

Comment

it should be tuned to standard tuning with the 7th string tuned to B. As to limp bizkit, he actualy never used a 7 string to its potential and that is why he switched back to 6 strings, he use to take it and just tune it to a drop C with and extra High E string to make funky noises with. Korn is about the biggest users of these and would downtune it to A. Other groups such as mushroomhead, trapt and alot of those metal bands from the late 90's and early 2000's all used 7 strings.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Looks like an RG7420... good score for $250 with the case!

[/ QUOTE ]
                  I was gonna say RG7620. What's the difference between the RG7620 and the RG7420? I had an RG7620 for awhile, now I've got a Schecter 007 Elite.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I was gonna say RG7620. What's the difference between the RG7620 and the RG7420? I had an RG7620 for awhile, now I've got a Schecter 007 Elite.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only difference I know between the two models are the pickups and the bridge; RG7-620 has Dimarzios and a proper floyd (Lo-Pro Edge 7), RG7-420 has Ibanez V77 and V78 and a shittier floyd (LO-TRS 7).
                    -Janne

Comment

After some researching, I think it's a RG7-620. It was made in '99 in Japan.

Comment

Look at the pickup tabs; if they are triangular they are Dimarzio New 7's, and it's a 7620. If they're square, they're IBZ's and it's a 7420. In '99 the 7620 and 7420 both used the same neck, so pulling theneck will show you 7620 either way. Also, because I can't really tell from the pics. if it's closer to maroon than magents, it's a 7620 in Vampire Kiss. If iy's more magenta, it's a 7420. Congrats on a great 7 string either way!
                        Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Vai and Nevermore!

Comment

Put a High A on it and shatter glass [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only difference I know between the two models are the pickups and the bridge; RG7-620 has Dimarzios and a proper floyd (Lo-Pro Edge 7), RG7-420 has Ibanez V77 and V78 and a shittier floyd (LO-TRS 7).

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct on the pickups and floyd, the pickups were acutally dimarzio blaze pickups. BUT the big difference between the two guitars was about $500.

[ QUOTE ]
                              Look at the pickup tabs; if they are triangular they are Dimarzio New 7's, and it's a 7620. If they're square, they're IBZ's and it's a 7420. In '99 the 7620 and 7420 both used the same neck, so pulling theneck will show you 7620 either way. Also, because I can't really tell from the pics. if it's closer to maroon than magents, it's a 7620 in Vampire Kiss. If iy's more magenta, it's a 7420. Congrats on a great 7 string either way!

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the 7620 in vampire kiss and it was a great playing guitar, just hated the dimarzio blaze pickups that were in it they just did not seem to have enough output and seemed week compared to the two pickups in my AX 7 string at the time. When i first saw the picture of that guitar i instantly thought 7620 as it looks like the vampire kiss color. I paid $900ish for mine back in 1999 and came with the top of the line Ibanez case (still have that case), i turned around and sold the guitar 3 years later and all i could get was around $450 that GC gave me, and trust me that was high because on Ebay they were going for about $400.
                              Seems there was a big backlash on 7 string guitars for awhile, it didnt help that everytime Mick from slipknot would do a interview he would bash them. Then came the baritone guitars that alot of these 7 string players started switching over too, you still had the ability to tune really low and you had a normal size neck.

Comment

Working...
                              X