Washburn WMS (really custom shop?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washburn WMS (really custom shop?)

Anyone familiar w/ the Chicago custom shop Washburns? In particular, I've seen the WMS Studio guitars going for the $300s w/ real Duncans, Buzz Feiten, etc. Seems like a steal. Are they for real? If so, why so cheap?

Giles

Re: Washburn WMS (really custom shop?)

They are real custom shop guitars. The shop is fairly small and about 100 - 200 guitars get made each month. They are a steal, you cant buy the parts for that. Like alot of US made guitars that dont have Fender or Gibson on the headstock, their values plummett once they are used. A few weeks ago, I stuck up a couple, practically giving them away, and I got no bids. If youre gonna get one, you will own it for life...........

Comment

i'd be a bit careful b/c i remember a few years ago that they got into a LOT of trouble for passing off imports as US made guitars. they were raided and everything.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yep, Washburn was busted a while back for taking import guitars, removing the made in Korea stickers and selling the guitars as made in USA. Check it out...

http://www.cbp.gov/custoday/nov2000/tye2.htm

Comment

Wow that's messed up. Never heard bout that before. I guess it's in the past now, their stuff seems to be pretty cool, but I haven't had a lot of experience with them to know. I've got my eye on those limited imports of ET Green guitars

Comment

yeah but now they will be running straight as an arrow, so washburn is a pretty safe bet now.

Comment

That happened back in 88 - 91 era when a different management team was in charge. Those guys were all let go, and Grover Jackson came on board to run things at a new US custom shop. At the time, there were no US made guitars from Washburn. Incidently, Charvel/Jackson, Fender, Kramer, BC Rich and many others were being looked at as well. It was back when Charvel had Fort Worth Tx on their plate, and stickers that said Made in Japan. The reason the other companies didnt get busted was because the dealers themselves removed the tags, where as at Washburn, the management ordered their employees to remove the tags. That was the difference. Should we now be careful when buying Charvels?.................

Comment

Ya learn something new everyday...except yesterday, nothing interesting happened. Thanks fellas [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow, interesting read! So I guess newer Washburns are safe, but how can you tell if a used one is a "cheater"? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Washburns made in the USA have a US logo, or a Customshop logo, or say right on them Made in USA. The WMS has the custom shop logo. On the ones being sold back then, they simply had Washburn on the headstock, and a backplate stamped with the Buffalo Grove, Illionois address. The serial numbers are different too. WMS models didnt exist back then.........

Comment

Thanks man! That clears it up.

Comment

Working...
                      X