ACOUSTIC guitar construction/quality question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACOUSTIC guitar construction/quality question

I'm looking at buying a decent acoustic/electric guitar without spending over $400 or so. I've noticed the solid tops start around 300 on MF and go way up from there but a few of them have solid sides and backs also. From the standpoint of sound and clarity will a guitar constructed with solid sides and back sound that much better than a solid top guitar with laminate sides and back? I've spotted 3 Ibanezes that are solid on all sides and top that sell for $349. Compared to a Martin or any other decent solid top that's incredible.
    E = Fb

Re: ACOUSTIC guitar construction/quality question

Having solid backs and sides are not as important as having a solid top.
    A solid top guitar will resonate better and will also support the string tension from the bridge better. Less chance of the top lifting on you.
    That being said, solid sides, back and top are still the best for overall tone and resonance.
    If you want to look at a well built guitar at a good price, check out Yamaha. They make several fantastic entry level solid top acoutstics for under $400. The FG410-S (S=solid top) is a great guitar for the money.
    -Rick

Comment

Ibanez and Seagull also make some decent acoustics in that price range.

Comment

If you don't need electronics, try a Taylor Big Baby. It's ugly as HELL, but it sounds way better than any guitar in its price range IMO. Heel-less construction, and an Ebony fretboard, too!

Comment

Absolutely the Big Baby can't be dismissed out of hand; they are excellent guitars. I'd also second the look at Seagull's, as they are also fantastic guitars for the money. I think there is a Big Baby in the classifieds right now, as a matter of fact.
          Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

What makes the Big Baby ugly? I'm looking at a photo of one right now and can't tell...besides the brightness of the wood tone.
            E = Fb

Comment

Well, it is subjective, of course. Here's what I don't like about its looks:

Plain satin finish over very plain, non-figured, laminated wood
              Bulbous body shape
              No binding
              Squirrelly, cheap-looking plastic pickguard
              Cheapo looking rosette (looks pressed into the wood)
              Phillips neck screw heads visible in fretboard
              Slightly pregnant hump in back of guitar
              Cheapo, plaino, Lexan headstock overlay
              Can't . . . type . . . anymore . . . need bucket [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] (Remember, I actually LIKE this guitar - beauty is only skin deep!)

Comment

+1 for the big baby
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                X