Yamaha training guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha training guitars?

The models in question are the EZ AG and the EZ EG. Anyone have any experience with these? My nephew (he's 10) is really wanting to learn guitar but has problems reading chord charts and finger positioning, and gets bored with it. He lives 1300 miles from me, or I'd help him out as much as I could. There's also no guitar teachers anywhere near him. I read about these thingies and I like the idea of the light up finger positions, and the downloadable songs. Looks like it could be a good way to learn the basics, and I imagine going from that to a real guitar wouldn't be too bad of a transition. Before I spend 200 bucks I'd be interested to hear your opinions.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Re: Yamaha training guitars?

10 is too young without a teacher or a parent who is willing to teach. It doesn't matter what kind of guitar he gets. 10 year olds don't have the patience or the maturity to teach themselves regardless of how bad they "think" they want to play.
    Regarding the guitar... its pretty neat.

Comment

Have his parents (or you can do it) get him some tabs for songs he likes. I started playing at 13 and had no patience (still don't) to sit down and practice chords either. As soon as I started reading tabs though, I was always playing trying to play the songs with the cd's after I'd learned them. Tabs are a great beginners tool to use in conjunction with charts. Mainly because they'll see how the chords and scales are used to make some music.

The only thing you really got to do is keep it all fun. Sitting down and reading chord charts and scales feels like school without your friends. That is probably why he gets bored with it.

Comment

13 is a great age to take up the guitar. 10 IMHO of course.. is too young.

Comment

You're both right in certain ways. 10 is really "theoretically" too young, and reading books without your friends definitely isn't fun either. On the other hand, this little guy really seems devoted, and I want to help him get started somehow.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I started playing when I was 8....

Comment

Working...
            X