Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pic of the Gibson John Sykes

here
    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Re: Pic of the Gibson John Sykes

Nice, but why'd they have to go and relic it?!?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Agreed about the relicing.

Thanks, but no thanks. If I want to pretend to be John Sykes, I'll save a bunch of money by getting the ESP/Edwards version.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Nice, but why'd they have to go an relic it?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess because it was a direct copy of his...which is beat.

I like it, very cool. Gonna be big, big money!!

Mike
        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Eh, I'd rather get a new one and beat it myself.

Comment

Sweet guitar, but drop the relic and pickgard. 2 things I don`t like on any guitar. Jack.

Comment

The pickguard is fine but that fucking relic shit has got to go. I just despise that companies do that. I really really have a irrational hatred of relicing guitars.

Comment

At first, I thought it was just glare on the picture, but the relic-ing looks kind of silly. I suppose Gibson will say, "Hey, it looks just like John's."

I'm tired of the relic look, too. It's just a guitar pretending to be something that it's not - a well-played instrument. It's no different than a woman wearing a push-up or padded bra or a guy stuffing a sock in his shorts: in other words, false advertising.

And outside of maybe blue jeans, do any other industry produce relics? I've never seen Chevy offer the Corvette in a factory-new, beat-up relic finish. Most people don't go running to a plastic surgeon in order to look "old and haggard".

Rant over. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Enjoy the rest of this thread. [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
                Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Most people don't go running to a plastic surgeon in order to look "old and haggard".

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Dude, you just started a new reality show right there!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

+1 on hating relicing. That axe would be great to own without it. With it, makes me wanna puke. I wish if they were gonna do it, they would offer it as an option.

chuck
                    "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Gibson's relics don't look real to me JMO.If done correctly a relic can be a cool piece.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        At first, I thought it was just glare on the picture, but the relic-ing looks kind of silly. I suppose Gibson will say, "Hey, it looks just like John's."

I'm tired of the relic look, too. It's just a guitar pretending to be something that it's not - a well-played instrument. It's no different than a woman wearing a push-up or padded bra or a guy stuffing a sock in his shorts: in other words, false advertising.

And outside of maybe blue jeans, do any other industry produce relics? I've never seen Chevy offer the Corvette in a factory-new, beat-up relic finish. Most people don't go running to a plastic surgeon in order to look "old and haggard".

Rant over. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Enjoy the rest of this thread. [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting points. When Fender started this relic-ing business, I thought it was ridiculous and just hated it. I still have no interest in most of it, e.g., finish chips, oxidized/corroded metal, etc. However, for some John Sykes superfan, getting an axe that is as close as possible to John's (including wear) makes sense. And while I'm not a big enough fan of anyone to want a guitar EXACTLY like his, even on a personal level, after feeling the neck of a relic Strat, I can see the appeal in some ways. The jeans analogy is exactly what helped me get over hating it; again, it makes sense in some ways (broken in jeans & necks feel better). Then again, I'm a big fan of push up bras, too, so I guess there's no accounting for taste. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          that fucking relic shit has got to go. I just despise that companies do that. I really really have a irrational hatred of relicing guitars.

[/ QUOTE ]
                          you and me both.

I cannot fathom why someone would want an intentionally beat up guitar, especially one with rust on it (a relic'd Fender Tele was posted here a while back that actually came from the custom shop with rust on the tuning keys!).

why do people want to look like something they're not? or buy a guitar that looks like something it's not?

what's dumber? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Would be cheaper to buy a real 70's LPC beater and mod it with chrome parts.
                            [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Gibson's relics don't look real to me JMO.If done correctly a relic can be a cool piece.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]I disagree but I guess its a personal thing. The only thing I will say is that if you want your guitar to have a more vintage look thats fine. Gold pearl inlays, and that finish you can get on maple necks that makes it look like its older and yellower. Its basically a yellow gloss tint I guess. Anyways that is fine. Even using a matte finish instead of high gloss to make the guitar look less "new" is ok. But intentionally making a guitar looks like refried ass. There is just no excuse IMO. It really pissed me off. I guess because I am a great admirer not just of the guitar as an instrument but as a piece of art. So when I see these "relics" I see it for what it looks like. A beat up piece of shit. [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X