Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pic of the Gibson John Sykes

[ QUOTE ]
    Isn't his Custom a maple top on mahogany back like the 70's customs were? This one is Mahogany/Mahogany.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see the specs for this guitar - I think my PC doesn't like Gibson's website (I downloaded Flash).

Syke's 1978 LP Custom would have a solid mohagany back (as opposed to the weight relieved standard models of today with swiss cheese holes drilled in), a muli-piece maple top (usually 3 pieces), and a 3 piece maple neck. The neck has the biggest impact on the tone. I believe Zakk Wylde's LP's (at least the white bull's eye) is made this way. Someone could take a Zakk and add on chome parts and have a Zakk Sykes model LOL!

So, if the new release doesn't have these specs, you'd be better off getting a 1976-1982 Les Paul Custom. The closer you hit the middle of this range, the less chance you have of getting a surprise (Ginson changed specs in the middle of the year without warning).

Comment

Body & Hardware:
      Flat carved maple top & solid mahogany back
      Multi-ply white/black binding on top and back
      Aged chrome hardware
      Aluminum Nashville TOM bridge/Stopbar tailpiece
      Aged ebony finish
      Mirror pickguard & metal chrome switchwasher/no switch tip

Neck & Headstock:
      3-piece maple neck with 22 fret ebony fingerboard & pearl block inlays
      Short neck tenon
      Rounded neck profile with single-ply white binding
      24 3/4” scale length, 1 11/16” nut width
      Chrome Grover kidney tuners
      Brass nut & 70s-style Gibson headstock logo

Electronics & Strings:
      ’57 Classic exposed humbucking pickups with chrome mounting rings
      2 volume, 2 tone*, 3-way selector switch
      *True to John's Les Paul, the lead tone control is disabled
      Gibson Vintage Reissue .010 strings
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Thanks Endrik.

Aluminum Nashville TOM bridge and Tailpiece - correct for a historic, but not for 1978. These should be zinc parts plated with whatever.

No switch tip? They must be after big profits LOL!

Brass nut - that's different.

Overall, it sounds pretty much dead on. I'd like to compare this to my 1977 - see how the neck profile is, and the tone.

Just thinking out loud, I wonder why John changed from the Dirty Fingers? Do you guys think he found out that they really do suck and switch to '57 Classics LOL!

I've never had a DF so I can't give my personal opinion.

Comment

maybe he had a very good DF exemplar and when it didn't work anymore he found out that the other DFs suck. All his other LPs have PAF style pickups instead of hot pups, so he put one to his main axe too.

About the hardware, John changed most of the parts on his LPC and this relic has the same things.

Anyway, if the feedback is great and I can get some cash, then I'm buying it.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

the reason he took the dirty finger out of it is because it crapped out from what i have heard. i know they are trying to keep it true to spec's, but if I am going to drop that much on a custom shop it better haven the long tenon.

If i also remember right didnt he refret the guitar with jumbo fret wire?

Comment

I sure hope it comes with a Protecter case like on the cover of one of John's albums!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Body & Hardware:
                Flat carved maple top & solid mahogany back

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird, I could have swore it said Magohany top and back yesterday.
                I checked it again and you're right. My eyes must be going.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hopefully, the price won't be in Page territory.
                Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  the reason he took the dirty finger out of it is because it crapped out from what i have heard. i know they are trying to keep it true to spec's, but if I am going to drop that much on a custom shop it better haven the long tenon.

If i also remember right didnt he refret the guitar with jumbo fret wire?

[/ QUOTE ]

Todd,

Even though we love the long tenon, it wouldn't be correct for this LP. I've check the neck pocket in my 1977 - no long tenon. 1968 was the last year in LP's. But, neither would the "rocker" joint crap they used today. In 1978, a firm fit(?) joint would be correct-when they took care enough to get a good fit and solid wood-to-wood contact.

If it does have a long tenon, I would consider that a "killer upgrade" from all LP's - a maple neck and a long tenon? WOW!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I sure hope it comes with a Protecter case like on the cover of one of John's albums!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I'm not sure if a protector case is period-correct for a 1978 LP. It should be a typical black case with purple fur liner.

Comment

Working...
                    X