Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most comfortable playing guitar for...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the most comfortable playing guitar for...

your picking hand? I know we talk a lot about Wizard necks and super harmonic poly fusion hybrids and stuff, but do we ever discuss comfort and picking hands?.... or is this a somewhat subjective topic (long monkey arms vs. short tyrano arms, etc)..

I have found that non floyd'd guitars are more comfortable for me, and I can pick much more efficiently than on floyd'd guitars.

Any ideas?
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: What is the most comfortable playing guitar for...

I prefer the Tele-style hardtail style, either as found on the Jackson SLS or the traditional style like this:

You can rest your picking hand on the saddles more comfortably than on a TOM bridge, and without causing movement as you would on a Floyd.

Another issue is the shape of the guitar's upper edge, where your forearm rests. I had a Dean EVO that sounded great, but the upper edge was very uncomfortable where my arm was in constant contact with it. I haven't noticed that with Jacksons, even on V-shaped models.
    sigpic

Comment

Re: What is the most comfortable playing guitar fo

I can get comfortable with most bridges, although I think I still find a floyd to be the most comfy (probably just because that's what I learned on)

Comment

Thats the beauty of high end Ibanez guitars. The Low Pro trem is extremely low profile and couple that with their killer wizard neck profiles and you will see why Ibanez makes the best guitars. They are my choice for Floyded type strats.
        For hardtails I would go with the PRS CE24.
        For vintage trem I would go with the Fender Deluxe Strat.

Comment

i'm golden as long as the guitar has a pickup ring!! i discovered that the way i pick requires me to anchor my pinky on the bridge pick-up ring. my preference as far as bridges go are a recessed floyd. it's what i grew up with and while i can play other guitars with other bridges, the recessed floyd lets me play without thinking.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I can play pretty much anything, but I prefer non-recessed Floyds and TOM bridges.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I can play pretty much anything, but I prefer non-recessed Floyds and TOM bridges.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto-maybe I slightly prefer TOM's, but I really don't have a problem using any bridge.

Comment

I like a V-Trem, or a recessed Floyd.

However, I can get used to most.

MIke
                Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I myself when playing live / standing up prefer a guitar I can rest my elbow on when playing. Like an explorer or a star.

Comment

when it comes to bridge types I find recessed Floyds the most comfy.

when we're talking about most comfy neck profiles than I'd have to say the mim fender strats.
                    "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

I like the recessed Floyd aswell, I've been leaning towards a bridge like on the Kevin Bonds Rhoads so I can do away with Floyds, & go with a fine tuneing T O M bridge, with either a locking nut or sperzels. as for shape standing or sitting A Warrior is my personal favorite.
                      According To The Prophecy

Comment

Bridges have never mattered to me. Have owned most all kinds - hardtail, recessed, non-recessed, etc...

At first a non-recessed Floyd took some getting use to but no big deal anymore and many people have the opinion that a non-recessed Floyd has more sustain than a recessed one.

Guess it has something to do with the way they are anchored but I am no expert. Its just the opinions I have read - including EVH.

I have different picking styles depending upon what I am doing. Sometimes I use mostly my wrist, other times my wrist and forearm and other times my wrist, forearm and elbow. So I don't leave my palm or hand continually in only one position anyway.
                        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I like a large body under my arm--strat, tele, or my personal favorite, a 335. With a good hunk 'o guitar squeezed under my right hand, picking is much easier. I also have the bad habit of resting my pinky on the guitar when I pick, and the elevated guard on a 335 is nice for that.

Comment

Am I the only one that has a hard time with some V's? I picked up an epiphone Gothic V and had a hard time gettin used to it. It felt like my picking hand was in a really weird position. I don't remember that with the Jackson imports though, or the Gibson 97 V. Maybe it's because the Epi loved to nose dive.

Comment

Recessed floyd! I have both recessed and non recessed floyds. I also have a couple of tunematics. I always seem to go back to the recessed floyds. As a side note when playing my nonrecessed charvel I tend to bump it while picking causing it to go flat. Never a problem on the recessed floyds.

Comment

Working...
                              X