some stuff i've been workin on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: some stuff i\'ve been workin on...

Love the birds dude, and the archtop looks rockin'. Its way more stealth and subtle with the single hum, the matching head rocks too! My archtop whilst being a similar colour, is in no way similar to yours. Mine has a 22-fret rosewood fretboard with dot inlays....oh. But mine has a Custom bridge pickup!.....oh. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

How does the archtop sound? Mine sounds absolutely amazing. An absolute tone monster. And whilst I love the Dimebucker, I havent had one in a mahogany body before. I rekon a fullshred would send it into crunch overload though!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Sully any advice for someone who wants to learn to build guitars. I am talking about being able to do everything set necks neck thrus, inlays. Is there books or a school you would recommend.

[/ QUOTE ]

our very own Ace went to the luthier's school at GIT/MI, and there's also the roberto-venn school in arizona. i woulda liked to have gone to something like that, for sure. if that's not an option, there's always the fantastic teacher known as trial and error. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Love the birds dude, and the archtop looks rockin'. Its way more stealth and subtle with the single hum, the matching head rocks too! My archtop whilst being a similar colour, is in no way similar to yours. Mine has a 22-fret rosewood fretboard with dot inlays....oh. But mine has a Custom bridge pickup!.....oh. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

How does the archtop sound? Mine sounds absolutely amazing. An absolute tone monster. And whilst I love the Dimebucker, I havent had one in a mahogany body before. I rekon a fullshred would send it into crunch overload though!

[/ QUOTE ]

it sounds pretty good from what i remember; i had a chandler strathead neck on it for a while (i wanted to hear how it sounded after i got the body assembled). the duncan custom that's in there was made by the person who made my favorite duncan custom, so perhaps it'll be similar. i have to say that i'm hoping that it sounds amazing because when i look at it, all i can see is how small it is.

sully
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Killer, killer guitars bro.

I said this to you when I was hangin' down at Casa del Sully, and I'll say it again...

NEVER EVER stop making your guitars. They're incredible.

Comment

Great guitars! I'm disheartened by the info that you're closing up shop on this stuff. Hopefully taking some time off from it will make it something you want to do again... you're too good at it to give it up completely.

Pete

Comment

thanks tom and pete; if i wind up continuing, i'll just have someone else paint them. it's just too damn messy, time consuming, and all sorts of other things that drive me insane.

oh, and both of you guys need to come back soon.
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

last one for now....

since he said it was ok to post, here's kev's warmoth variax. i call it a ghettoburst:

the headstock doesn't photo too well, but here's how it looks:

Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Damn Sully, I can't believe you are getting out of this. Awesome work bro!!!
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Sully man, I'm speechless! I love both of those FBs. They are simply outstanding. I've really been intereted in those lately.

It's a bummer that your slowing down a bit, but I completely understand. I was starting to build a few a couple of years ago and it fizzled out for me as well. I don't think you can fully grasp what it takes until you do a few.

In any case, you are exceptional at what you do!
                    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Those FBs are dame sweet, Sully. Classy, and look to be top notch. And that's coming from someone who doesn't like Firebirds! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

that blue/green burtst is killer.

I'd did the same thing Sully, I dont paint anymore. I have 2 more bodies out at paint right now, when I build them I'm done for a long time...I wanna play the damn things, not build them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

yeah, i remember when you reranched a couple of yours that you told me how you'd rather have someone else do it. i didn't understand then, but oh man, i sure do now. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

killer guitars, Sully. Love the firebirds. Wish I had the talent (and the time) to do work like that.

Comment

Damn....Like everyone else said.....really amazing work.

All of them look fantastic.

Comment

That blue bird is awesome!!! It all looks good but the bird is insane!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X