Lee Garver is an unethical piece of *&#%$@

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lee Garver is an unethical piece of *&#%$@

This post is sure to stir some emotions, and let me start off by saying to everyone who thought I was just a whining Australian who can't appreciate the awesome work that Lee dishes out, FUCK YOU. Yes, FUCK YOU. I am about to have my day.

Now, I know my previous GMW issues raised a bit of controversy but it all died down and everything went back to normal, with GMW being god like with what they do, yadda, yadda, yadda....

So, the background is all in this thread here.

Check out my third post in that thread, about the inlays and fretboard, that is very relevent today.

There is also this thread where the guitar was played at GMW after it eventually went ALL the way back there, here

I have stated before that with the guitar still sucking ass like nobody's business after it came back from Lee, who had Neil Moser work on it (and let's remember, Neil ONLY does fret dresses for new GMW at the MCS, he doesn't install frets, so he dressed them again after Lee "worked" on them for me), that I was going to replace the fingerboard. This plan is on it's way and a new fingerboard from Custom Inlay arrived today at my luthiers, so I rocked on over to check it out. It's a good board and Russ got down to removing the old fretboard right away and let me watch.

First we removed the nut, something I hadn't done myself yet, but I wanted to see how Lee "fixed" the dodgy nut install he did initially, as per the first thread link. There looked to be some material against one side of the nut, and some visible gauging of the rod itself, possible from the bigger screws he planned on using.

Moving on, after some heat, the board began to come off, which was cool enough. Russ eventually got a hold of some binding and got rid of a chunk of it, and I noticed something funny with the fretboard, and suddenly all my fret troubles made total, horrible sense. Check this out.

I had asked for sharkfins on my reverse Jackson neck from Lee, and during our emails it became known to me that he'd put dots on it. He said he would fix this, and I've always known this was the second fretboard on this neck, and wondered if the first one was actually decent. Now I know the first fretboard is still there, and Lee planed off the top and put a crappy veneer on top and installed the frets. It's hard to get a good shot, but you can tell that the new slots in the veneer dont' match up with the original ones.

This neck never stood a chance like this, and now I soooo wish I'd taken pics of all the glue that was seeping out under the frets when I first got it. The glue was there to make something bad work, but it failed.

Let me tell you, when I saw this and all the implications sunk in, I was LIVID!! This is the lowest, scummiest thing to do to a person ordering a brand new custom guitar, no wonder I've not had one decent playing day out of it, when I ordered it in 2002 and first got it in 2004. It's now 2006, god I'm pissed off.

So, what do I do now? Is there a point asking Lee about it. Does someone here want to talk to him for me?

Re: Lee Garver is an unethical piece of *&#%$@

As much as I enjoyed helping the first time around, I'm out on this one. Not to ride Lee's sack or anything but when I played that guitar in the first place, it was awesome. Also had a buddy of mine play it as well. Seems great to me. Why did you try to replace the fretboard?

Comment

I AM replacing the fretboard cause it played like crap the moment I had it in my hands again. Maybe Lee put my real neck on the guitar you played, and gave me the hand me down again.

I shall repeat, it has ALWAYS buzzed like a swarm of bumble bees in my posession, now I know why.

Comment

Wierd, very wierd. Maybe it just hates being in Australia?

Comment

I can totally understand you being really pissed - I certainly would be as that's just a badly executed 'fix'.

However, the practical part of my brain says that you were replacing the fretboard anyway, so now you know the reason, but does it really matter?
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Wierd, very wierd. Maybe it just hates being in Australia?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it hates having a badly placed veneer of maple on top of the original fretboard, are you blind?

I can't explain why it played good for you, maybe Lee set it up just before you got there and it stays ok for a little bit, but look at it, it's shit.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I can totally understand you being really pissed - I certainly would be as that's just a badly executed 'fix'.

However, the practical part of my brain says that you were replacing the fretboard anyway, so now you know the reason, but does it really matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it matters, this is the biggest load of crap I've ever seen. It is beyond a joke, and it's totally fucked up what I've gone through and still have to do, to get the well playing guitar I paid almost $4000 of my hard earned Australian dollars for.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Now I know the first fretboard is still there, and Lee planed off the top and put a crappy veneer on top and installed the frets.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] What the FUCK!??!?! [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]
                https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

When I said 'does it really matter?', I just meant that whatever the reason it's not good enough....
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

If you're really that upset, I think small claims court is up to $5,000, so you can sue Lee in small claims without a lawyer for your money back on shoddy craftsmanship. I'd write him a letter first. Not sure if they have small claims in Australia, but since it was an American transaction, it should still apply. I'd just let Lee know that you know what he did, stop ranting on this board to avoid libel, be very polite about it, and ask for your money back. If he offers another fix, tell him that it's been four years and you don't want him to do the work ... someone else will. If he's an ethical businessman, he'll refund your money or a portion of it for the new neck work; otherwise, take it to court.
                    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Im really sorry for you Genebaby. I certainly can understand your frustration. What happened with your guitar is definitely not acceptable. Since this issue has been going on for such a long time, I wonder what could be done about it at this point?

Comment

You may have shot yourself in the foot by "blowing up" on a public message board, but your best course of action is to calm down and call/write Lee and try to work out some type of solution. Hell, I bought a second hand GMW that had issues and even though Lee didn't owe me the time of day, he overnighted the replacement parts to me at "zero" cost. So that right there tells me that the guy does make the effort to correct problems.

Best of luck.
                        "POOP"

Comment

My understanding is that Lee is as good as he is on the given day you deal with him. I do remember this whole issue the first go around and I have to say ..Whether Vic was going to change the fretboard or not that is shoddy workmanship to just hide the problem instead of actually doing the right thing, replacing the neck and making a customer happy ..

I'm not looking to throw stones but on a lot of differing levels over the last year this forum has had some negative issues regarding that company ..
                          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Yeah, I don't think I'd buy a guitar from him.

A shitty veneer to cover up a mistake...what the heck!

Comment

oh man, that shimmed on fingerboard is a fucking joke. that is pure 100% bullshit right there. there is absolutely no way that is defensible - no excuse for that at all in any way, shape, or form. that is pure crap.
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X