Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lee Garver is an unethical piece of *?%$@

[ QUOTE ]
    What YAO posted from this guy stands where I am on this.
    It was a cheap fix. He should have planed it past the original slot point and installed a new fingerboard 'slab' with the new inlays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probabaly would have been even easier to steam the neck to release the glue from the fretboard and then installed the new fingerboard slab. To plane the neck as-is, you'd have to build a jig to hold the neck. (I've been watching a lot of "Yankee Workshop" with Norm Abram) Then again, sounds like Lee might already have such a jig in use.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

but wouldn't there have been a height issue in doing that? Not to mention, the original slots in the board would have been visual if not fully covered by the binding. He covered up shit work with the binding IMO. Not disputing the jig aspect, I just look at it and go "it ain't right" [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        (I've been watching a lot of "Yankee Workshop" with Norm Abram)

[/ QUOTE ]

Another westerner intriqued by our culture [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Way back when I used to co-own an autobody shop we used to do restores on some old 60's and 70's muscle cars. We would rip off a rear quarter and find all kinds of stuff hiding the rust. Guys would Bondo over rags, newspapers...heck I even saw a car that was Bondo'd over cardboard that was taped to the body panel. Because the Bondo job was perfect.. you could never tell until you started stripping it. Unfortunately, these repairs had a very short lifespan and cost more to correct than if they were done right the first time. If the car was left outside you would see failures in weeks!! This saga reminds me of this a little. Body shops that operated that way didn't last long at all. Word of mouth spread like wildfire and they were POOF... GONE. I wonder what will happen in this situation??
          Oh yea... and it didn't take a ton of examples of shoddy work. Usually it took just 1 or 2 to get the word out!

Comment

Ok I just emailed GMW to see how much for the new Fretboard Veneers... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Just kidding! That sucks! Lee owes you. If my customers get crappy service or bad product, they get it fixed for free. And I refund their money! Company policy. Good Customer Service keeps em coming back for some reason.

Comment

While I don't agree with Lee's solution, I don't defend that I do stand by the GMW guitars I own and have played that he built.

I never once had a problem dealing with Lee and I think there probablly are bigger jerks posting in this thread than Lee could ever be, again based on my dealings with him and I'm not in the whole GMW "bud" club. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Everyone is entitled to opinion within the contect of the boards policies, even the so called jerks.
                If a forum wasn't open to discussion of everyones views, it would cease to exist for its intended purpose.

Comment

If his first name was Grant I would feel more comfortable. That whole Lee thing gets me nervous.
                  BTW.. one of the tactics that was being taught at West Point back in the 1800's was Napoleon's divide and conquer tactic. Lee used it many times successfully. I guess dividing up a fretboard didn't work out too well for this Lee. If his name was Grant Garver he would have replaced the entire neck. Casualties of war meant little to old Sam. Hows that for going off on a tangent??

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Everyone is entitled to opinion withinthe contect of the boards policies, even the so called jerks.
                    If a forum wasn't open to discussion of everyones views, it would cease to exist for its intended purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said no one was entitled to their opinions...everyone is entitled to state whatever opinions that may have, that is obvious in this entire thread, some relevant opinions some not.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

i'd also like to state that i'm not anti-lee by any means. i've had nothing but good dealings and conversations with him. hell, he's even talked me down when i realized that some TOM holes i'd drilled were off. and it was a figured top! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] i felt like the biggest moron, and he talked me down and told me how to fix it. that said, there's also a few things that have occurred over time that probably keep me out of the cool guy loop, but anyway, yeah.

YAO, thanks for that post a page back; i found it pretty interesting.

sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I appreciate the facts for anyone who's dealt with Lee and have one or serveral GMW's w/o issue. For the record...I'm happy with mine, but I never dealt with Lee personally as it was bought second hand. If you're satisified, you got what you paid for, no complaints.
                        As far as ordering custom from him, I'd now even think twice on taking a completed product right in front of my eyes, for reasons posted. I'm sure there are far more pics of good than bad otherwise Lee would no longer be in the biz. I just look at this and see it as very unfortunate from conception to solution to result. I would not want to be in eithers shoes.. so my money goes elsewhere.
                        No loss to anyone.. I'll bow out now.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          but wouldn't there have been a height issue in doing that? Not to mention, the original slots in the board would have been visual if not fully covered by the binding. He covered up shit work with the binding IMO. Not disputing the jig aspect, I just look at it and go "it ain't right" [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that it's right either. I'm just laying out my interpretation of it based on what I've gleaned from woodworking shows and watching other luthiers. It obviously would have been a hell of a lot easier to just replace the neck outright and use the 'old' one on another guitar. No muss, no fuss. But even steaming the fretboard off would have been an easier fix than just planing it. I don't understand the logic behind his method. Then again, I'm just a desk jockey at a telecom company.
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]
                            A few points I'd like to make:

I corresponded with Neal Moser earlier and he'd like to state for the record:

"I would ..... AFAIK, that's not SOP for repairing/replacing a fretboard and if nothing else, Vic should have been told first that that was the manner in which the repair would be performed, and given the option to proceed with it or leave it as it was....

[/ QUOTE ] <u>AFAIK, that's not SOP for repairing/replacing a fretboard and if nothing else, Vic should have been told first that that was the manner in which the repair would be performed,</u>

[/ QUOTE ]

WHOA!!! Neal did NOT say that. I said that as my own opinion. Neal's quote is ONLY the following:

"I would like the people on the JCF board to understand that the only work we do on a GMW guitar is milling the frets and making the bone. We have NOTHING to do with the original construction of the body OR necks."

Comment

What I don't get is how the guitar old and new fret slots don't line up. That would mean that one of the versions of the neck would be off and not intonate ?? Am I way off here ??

This is just a thought, if Lee farms out his inlay work it is possible that shop did the veneer and did not tell Lee ??

edit: if lee did the binding then this point is moot.

Admitting your subs are screwing up can be a big blow to your creds.

Comment

I just cut the necks in half on all of my bound GMWs and all appears to be fine....no veneers or laminates on the fretboard!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X