Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washburn N4 questions, Please read if you own.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washburn N4 questions, Please read if you own.

Does anyone know the neck scale? Are there years to stay away from? Did neck shape or body contours change over the years? Nut width? Did they all have the Buzz Feiten system? Any typical problems with them? What are the bewt years to own? Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Re: Washburn N4 questions, Please read if you own.

Chris, I used to know a ton about N4's. Here is what I remember.
    25.5 scale
    Neck shape has stayed consistant.
    Body shape has stayed consistant although location of pick up selector and the addition of a tone control on some models is different.
    I am pretty sure that 1998 and newer all have the Buzz Feiten system.
    All N4's are good although the 1st year model is the most collectible. I had a 1st year, a 1998 and a 2001 and they were all great.
    No problems that I know of. Very stable guitars.
    The best models to get are the straight N4's with no additional letter designations.
    I used to know so much more!!

Comment

I have two early ones, one with the Kahler Steeler floyd copy with Kahler lock nut and the other with the washburn floyd and standard floyd nut (and swamp ash body). In addition, I played another that had the Kahler set-up. Both the Kahler versions had a neck that was significantly thinner than the washburn floyd'd ones. Neck width and scale length and such were the same, just the thickness was different. I prefer the Kahler one as it's thickness is more like Jackson/Charvel.

The only problems I had (and have heard others have) is that the steel of the Washburn floyd is not the hardest and there have been instances of the saddle hold down screw threads getting stripped out if you overtighten.

Great guitars and they continue to hold their value.

Comment

Oh, the other frustrating thing is the location of the pickup selector on the lower horn. Depending on your right hand/arm struming style, you could accidently hit the switch. What I did was buy another Gibson style black plastic tip and cut it almost in half, then screwed it on the switch as far as I could. This helped by lowering the height of the tip and I didn't hit it as much after that!

Comment

Great! Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

Chris, I know that the N4 is cool with the Stephens Cutaway but you should try to score an early N2. They are great guitars and cheap as all hell.
            I have a 1992 and its very surprising.

Comment

I have one of those! They rock! Thanks for the heads up though John!

Comment

My friend used to live in Chicago told me this story, he bought a N4 in the early 90s. It had a fretting problem so he contacted Washburn and some dude told him to bring in to the Chicago shop. The Dude was Grover Jackson himself. They replaced the neck and Grover signed the guitar.

Comment

Working...
                X