Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Les Paul or another soloist

[ QUOTE ]
    sorry guys, if you want a Les Paul get a Les Paul. A Soloist is a fine guitar but it is not a Les Paul - that's sort of on purpose [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

2+
    A set-neck will never feels or plays like a neck-thru or bolt-on. Neither will a strat nor a Soloist is going to sound like a LP.

Fong

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Man I've havin a hard time deciding which guitar to get. I played a les paul the other day whem one of my friends came over to jam and it had some serious chunk. I liked it a lot except after a half hour my back was saying where's the Jackson. Then I switched back and I was at home again ya know. I mean the jackson was just a very easy guitar to play compared to the paul but the tone of the gibson is still bothering me. Anyway I am thinking of going Gibson but my wife is going "I thought Jackson was your favorite"? Yea she's right I love soloists for everything they do I don't know I'm just thinking out loud. Maybe if I give it another couple of weeks I'll be saying yea give me another soloist in a different finish. I gave up on gibson over 5 years ago why am I going back. Anyway I'm bored right now so I'm writing online just to get any opinions. I play metal and my Jacksons do the job well ,maybe I'll invite my friend over again and play it some more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in the same boat, I played a custom shop Les Paul the other day and I can't get the tone out of my head. I love my 15 Jackson/Charvel/Kramers, but I've got a hard on for a LP. The one I'm looking seriously at is the '57 re-issue Black Beauty Custom Shop. Retails for about 6k, street price of around $3,500.

I did own a Zakk sig Les Paul for about a month and I loved it, but I sold it because I could NOT keep the fucker in tune. Might have to try again...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I could NOT keep the fucker in tune.

[/ QUOTE ]

New Les Pauls suffer from tight nuts as it is. Think of it this way - you tune the guitar up, but the nut is pinching the string. You do a bend on that string, which pulls it across the nut, but when you release the bend, the nut keeps pinching the string, making it flat. You know for sure if this is happening if, when tuning up, you hear a "ping" and all of the sudden the string goes sharp. This happened to me tonight on my LP Historic (on the G string).

Solution? Nut files, nut lube, graphite, etc.

If you go for larger stings on a new LP, this is sure to happen.

PIKA,

Get a Les Paul if you already have a soloist, unless you have a good reason for having two soloist.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          sorry guys, if you want a Les Paul get a Les Paul. A Soloist is a fine guitar but it is not a Les Paul - that's sort of on purpose [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

2+
          A set-neck will never feels or plays like a neck-thru or bolt-on. Neither will a strat nor a Soloist is going to sound like a LP.

Fong

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="yellow">Ummmm, OK..... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

You've just played the wrong Gibson then....

I can't concur with that comment [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2+

Fong

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="yellow">Ummmm, OK..... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

You've just played the wrong Gibson then....

I can't concur with that comment [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

LPC,

Your seriously saying that bolt-on maple necked strat sounds like a Les Paul? [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Comment

My son said to post this:
              [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

<font color="yellow">I just replied to the first sentence.

The whole playability thing just killed me.

My LPC IS my best playing guitar, bar none....and I have other equally killer guitars in my collection also....

No, a bolt on will never sound EXACTLY the same as a Les Paul....but, they can get close....and to me, for what I'm doing now...it's fine....but, if I need a Les Paul...I have that covered too [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  <font color="yellow">I just replied to the first sentence.

The whole playability thing just killed me.
                  </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

"A set-neck will never feels or PLAYS like a neck-thru or bolt-on."

Did i mentioned anything about playability (in terms of
                  "shred ability" or easiness to play)?? [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Fong

Comment

I have an LPC and a SLATQH. They sound very different even though they share ebony fretboard, maple top, mahogany body and neck. I love the SLATQH, it plays like a dream, but the LPC is the desert island guitar. I think you should go for the LP over another soloist.

Comment

Have you tried a Jackson PC1? I put my Les Paul's back in their cases and in the closet they went. I think it's been a year since I played them. I guess, I better check on them to see if they are OK. I love the PC1, plus it's more comfortable playing while sitting.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Les Paul. Everyone should own one at least once.

I have had quite a few, and wish I could afford a new one. Right now I am making due with an Agile, which I really love.

Mike
                        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Sell the Jag LOL!

Love that location are at LOL!!!

Comment

Thanks everyone ,I might just get a studio for now as they are fairly cheap and they still have that tone. Not as pretty as the classics or standards but more affordable.

Comment

I beleive some of the White Studios have Ebony boards bro. Jack.

Comment

DonP, I've experienced the exact same thing on my 57 Historic Goldtop. I have a 2004 and the problem was even around then. My luthier noticed it, but since I only had the guitar for a few months at the time, I didn't ask him to mess around with it. A Bluesy guitar with bending issues. Hmmm.

By the way, for those of you looking to find a good Les Paul, avoid the standards and go right away for the historics. It'll cost you 1600 on EBAY for a 57 Goldtop. The 58 Burst are also reasonably priced but they have a smaller neck. The 57s are chunky, like baseball bats. And that's why I also bought a Soloist.

There's a world of difference in the sound between a standard and a historic. It has everything to do with the fitting of the neck. The Standards are not well constructed, if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
                                X